Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-19-2006, 12:37 AM   #1

Last Lighting Question....

Hey all. I want my first S/W tank up and running by next week and I need to purchase lighting. It is a 29 gal. that I want to be a reef tank. Thank you all for your previous help.

I am looking at this fixtureThis one 30"

This should give me about 4.4 wpg, or 130 watts I think. Will this be enough to grow most corals when I am ready?

Any advice on this fixture, is it good enough?

EDIT: Dr Fosters does not have the Fiji Premium in stolk. Has anyone ever ordered from Saltwater.com? They have it, 45lbs for $209 so I was going to order it there?

Thanks
Old 08-19-2006, 12:46 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

looks pretty good.

Old 08-19-2006, 03:04 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Looks good to me also. Cooling fans also.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 03:53 PM   #4

Lighting

I actually may have a different option. This MH is not to much, do you all like this one better?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113030
Old 08-19-2006, 05:08 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Depends really. Do you want to keep alot of SPS corals or clams? If so, then I'd got with that light. But you can keep soft corals, zoos, and LPS fine under the CF lighting. Up to you.

About the LR. Have you priced Tambabaysaltwater.com? I have heard LOTS of good stuff about their LR.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 05:13 PM   #6

Lighting

Thanks Dev, I will check out them for the live rock. The "coral" rock they have looks great. It is about $6 lb. The problem seems to be the shipping compared to other places.

As far as the light, how many corals can I really fit in my 29? I just dont want to waste money, however I can afford the MH. I am so confused on what is better because there seems to be good points to MH and PC
Old 08-19-2006, 05:54 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I understand. Again, it depends on what you want to get. LPS generally have long sweeper tentacles so 5-6 inches of space is needed around them. If I had to take a (very rough) guess, I'd say about 10 different pieces.

Lighting isn't my strong point, but CF will suffice for most all corals. Its only when getting into the high light corals that MH is needed.

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:10 PM   #8

I got what you are saying, thanks for the help. I am driving myself crazy. If I go the PC a bigger light isn't much more. Than I get thinking that I could afford to buy a 30 gal, and stand, keep my 29 fresh, and all the equip. is good to go. The 36" Coralife for the 30 gives me 192 watts.

I will know by tomorrow because I will be buying a new tank tomorrow.

If I shell out extra and go with the 30, I will have over 6 wpg with the 36" Coralife. I think this is the way I am going to go. It may only be 1 more gallon, but it is 6" longer.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:34 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Interesting! I didn't know that about the size difference, and at first I thought you were going to try and put a longer light over the tank. Duh.

Have fun buying tank and light.

Old 08-20-2006, 01:43 PM   #10

Got the tank!

Well I just got home and I went with the 30 gal. All glass with a nice black Pine double door stand. It was suppose to be $220, but the manager gave it to me for $163 so I was happy. Now I have a 6" longer tank and I can keep my planted freshie.

Last night I ordered the 192 watt 36" Coralife PC. I hope that over 6 watts per gal. of PC light will be good for most corals when I am ready.

As soon as it comes in from Dr. Fosters all I have left to buy is the LR and I am ready to go! Today I am going to paint the back of the tank black.

I really like the feeling that I get from the tbsaltwater.com LR. I think I will order from them and pick it up at the airport. Their rock looks very very nice.

I can't wait til it is time to ask about adding livestolk!!

Thanks

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com