Lava Rock Questions :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltyTony

Aquarium Advice Regular
i have this company that sells lava rocks near my house and i was looking around and they have this rock that looks almost as close as Live Rocks. its called a Normax Lava Rock and i was wondering if safe to use this rock on a tank?. i will be curing it also during my cycle with maybe 15lbs of live rocks for my 30Gallon.
normaxlava.jpg

I`ve never used it but I`ve heard others say it`s not good to use. Dont know why. Maybe others could expound on that.

Its not calcium based, try looking for lime rocks. Most lime is ancient coral reefs. It works as a base (lime). The lava rock you have is full of things like copper and Iron which those 2 elements in a reef tank will lead to a nasty crash, most inverts cant handle any amount of copper in your water, and iron will cause crazy algea blooms.

Look at the reddish color of some of those lava rocks in your picture. That's rust from the iron in the lava rock.

lol and i dont think we even have to explaiin the hazard of RUST in an aquarium...

but besides that, you can get base rock for like 1-3 dollars a pound. and if you go onto craigslist, there are all kinds of people willing to sell live rock for very cheap too.

Back
Top Bottom