Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-07-2011, 06:43 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Location: Tea Tree Gully in South Australia, Hottest State in the world :(
Lawnmower blenny

Hey peeps

Just want some advice on the pros and cons of getting a lawnmower blenny it will be my 2nd fish in the tank as well as my cuc

I like the look and the behavior of it

Thomsona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
All I really know is that they are usually best in a more established system because they are algea grazers and like to have a system where alga has had a chance to get started.

You can, however, supplement feed them to help make up for this.

Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
I have a lawnmower blenny he is awesome! he does eat algae but mine eats flake and occasionally I put out a algae sheet for him and my sea hare.

So far so good, if anything my blenny is fat from too much food. lol
180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
They are a good choice but not all will eat prepared foods. Mine took about 2 months before it started to accept it. I would consider it one of the more aggressive fish in the tank I also have a sixline. clown and a royal gamma in a 55 with him. They get rather large so at least a 45 gallon tank.
joy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i have never had any problems with algae blennies, and i've had them in all of my previous tanks. they always ate nori on a clip, and most of them also ate whatever i tossed in for everyone else eventually. i can't think of a reason not to have one, except for them not being very colorful. very entertaining to watch, or even as they watch you.
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com