Learned somthing new today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie

Aquarium Advice Freak
In viewing the reef tanks and propagation tanks at the lfs I always assumed that I was looking at anenomes and corals. Today I was advised that there wasn't an anenome in the store. 8O

My lfs doesn't recommend putting them in the same tank with corals. Bummer - because I always intended to put in at least one anenome so that I could enjoy the clown fish/anenome symbiotic relationship.

The lfs guy told me that clown fish will also have such a relationship with some corals. Is this true??

I believe they can form a relationship with corals and also just about anything else in the tank from other peoples experiences

believe it or not, but anemones are really considered reef safe. While many here have them in reefs (including myself) they should be given plenty of space to avoid chemical warefare. Also, while some some clown have been known to adpot certain corals as hosts (torch coral, long tenticle plate coral, hammer coral, etc.) it is rare and should not be depended on. It should actually be discouraged as the clown's agressive routing can irritate the coral, in some cases causing death. FWIW, a clown fish does not need a host to be happy in captivity.

I see that the clown's preferred carpet anenome has too many down sides. Powerful stings, grows LARGE, etc. If I were to consider a single anenome for 2 Perculas, in a 46gal reef tank, what would your recommend? A hardy species would be preferred.

I have a tomato clown that host a pagoda cup and a gold maroon that host a bubble coral. Neither one will go near the anenomie

Jeesh, some clowns will try hosting in everything!

Some corals, etc. though aren't too keen on the idea and may just plain out die like mentioned.
My pair of false percula clowns tried with some xenia once, and after having it tense up about 20 times, they gave up.

Back
Top Bottom