Leather coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevinalewis

Aquarium Advice Regular
Have a leather that hasn't "perked" up in a few days. I don't see any slime coat on it or anything and I haven't moved it in the tank. I've had it for less than a month and it was fine the first week I put it into tank. There's nothing in tank that is touching it. All my water parameters are great. Is this normal or am I losing it? Does it need to be lower in the tank? Its at top attached to some rock.
Thanks,
Kevin

55 gal
175 mh (x2) 20,000k
96 watt pc x2 actinic
Odyssea fixture
Pic two weeks ago. I'll snap new one as soon as I get home in ten minutes.

Attachments

• image-201463770.jpg
    image-201463770.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 75
Heres a pic from right now. I need to reset the leather it's blown over a little.

Attachments

• image-3437368948.jpg
    image-3437368948.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 73
Anyone recommend different placement of these ?
Also I'm getting ready to set up sump tonight with skimmer. It's a proclear aquatics I'm going to use live rock rubble instead of bio balls. The rio pump that goes to skimmer is loose where it goes into skimmer. There was plastic ring almost like scotch tape that was around end of skimmer that goes into skimmer chamber I removed when I cleaned it up. Any reccomendations on what I can use now to make it snug. I bought it from cl and want to set it up. Will this benefit my tank any better than the aquaclear I have on back? I'm running sponge filter and carbon in aqua clear. When I set up sump should I remove hob? Or leave it and do something different with it? Just started hobby in June of this year. I got everything but fish/coral for free. I helped a good friend move and he gave it to me. He had it for 4+yrs.

Attachments

• image-1881095293.jpg
    image-1881095293.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 72
Is this better? It's mid way up in tank.

Attachments

• image-4139688742.jpg
    image-4139688742.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 133
Skimmer will help. Also, do u have an overflow to go in ur sump? Try moving the coral higher.

Should I relocate these polyps too. There close to another rock. Or will the grow out and away.

Attachments

• image-4086170082.jpg
    image-4086170082.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 106
Yea I have an overflow. I just need to hook everything up tonight.
Leather needs to go higher? It's mid way up in tank now. I didn't think they needed that much light ?

Attachments

• image-1235910026.jpg
    image-1235910026.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 75
  • image-725705917.jpg
    image-725705917.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 92
Kevinalewis said:
Should I relocate these polyps too. There close to another rock. Or will the grow out and away.

They will overtake the rock... Lol

Kio707 said:
Skimmer will help. Also, do u have an overflow to go in ur sump? Try moving the coral higher.

Are you sure? He has ALOT of light. Leathers are medium light corals.... Could it be too much light?

Also can anyone identify this frag. I got it for free from a friend.

Attachments

• image-2797674177.jpg
    image-2797674177.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 81
SwimsWithFish said:
Are you sure? He has ALOT of light. Leathers are medium light corals.... Could it be too much light?

Is it bleached? I can't tell from pic. Mine are half way up. Could be to much light? I thought it was closer to the bottom.. My bad.

Yeah he's got sps intensity light. I bet the coral was shocked when it was introduced to your system. It just needs time to get used to the intense lighting. That's my guess on what's wrongz

SwimsWithFish said:
Yeah he's got sps intensity light. I bet the coral was shocked when it was introduced to your system. It just needs time to get used to the intense lighting. That's my guess on what's wrongz

I agree... Try putting closer to bottom, let it stay there for a week or so, and move it up a lil if it's not thriving.

I know I'm full of questions! :). I'm just excited learning bout all this stuff. One problem I had when I got the tank is it was very dirty. I think everything - the rock and tank, clean up pretty well. Only issue I have is the corners where it's siliconed have a little green algea. I've tried tooth brush and other brushes but can't fully remove it. Anyone have any suggestions? Can I use a razor blade or would I take chance of possible causing a leak ?

Kevinalewis said:
I know I'm full of questions! :). I'm just excited learning bout all this stuff. One problem I had when I got the tank is it was very dirty. I think everything - the rock and tank, clean up pretty well. Only issue I have is the corners where it's siliconed have a little green algea. I've tried tooth brush and other brushes but can't fully remove it. Anyone have any suggestions? Can I use a razor blade or would I take chance of possible causing a leak ?

No razor bales by silicone!!!! Use a bug remover sponge for cars.. That works well.

Back
Top Bottom