leaving for a month...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fairtrade

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
so....here's the problem. I have a 30 gal saltwater tank. I have a dart fish, a blenny and a lionfish that i just got. During this winter, I will be away for about a month. I was planning on getting an automatic feeder.....

Naturally, this presents several problems. First off, is there a good automatic feeder that will last long enough? the bigger problem is the lionfish. I just got him, so i have yet to ween him into feeding properly. I know that feeding him the same thing over and over (such as krill) will result in problems. I guess my question is, what sort of dried food could i feed him for a month? Is there any option? or is this just a bad idea? I am well aware that it is certainly not ideal, but because of my situation I don't have many options (i won't be able to get someone to feed the fish while i'm gone)

Unfortunately other than building a diy autofeeder, I dot believe you have any options:( not to also mention that unless your tank is an extremely well established tank, going a full month without a water change is out of he question as well. I know you said you can't get someone to tend to them but you're gonna have to work something out. Hate to bring up bad news but unfortunately its the facts.

And just out of curiousity...what type of lionfish do you have?

I am well aware that it is certainly not ideal, but because of my situation I don't have many options (i won't be able to get someone to feed the fish while i'm gone)

Just curious but why can't you get someone to go in and feed for you? Is it that you don't know anyone you trust enough to enter your property / look after your fish? If it is then you could do what I do and either use a reputable fish care service to come to your house - they are usually Police checked and insured, or ask if your LFS do a holiday service some actually do this.
I appreciate that there may be some differences in how people and services operate, most guys and girls on this forum are from the US, I'm in the UK where the kind of service that I have mentioned is not uncommon.

Back
Top Bottom