Led for reef tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moneymike1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have a 75 gallon tank and looking to get new led lights because the ones I have aren't powerful enough. Any certain brands/ lights that are great? Any guidance would be great!

There are many great led setups. The problem is price. What is your budget? You want a fixture that uses 3 watt LEDs.

If you are looking for a less expensive option then I hear the taotronics are pretty good. There are DIY kits from aquastyle as well.

If price is not a factor then there are several high end brands. I have heard good things about the echotech radions.

Have you heard anything about the AI vega? Looking into getting two of these for the 75 gallon. Do you think two will work if positioned high enough?

AI vegas and sols are popular, though I have not used their products. In terms of AI, they are the apple where Radions are the droid. People love one and hate the other. It is kinda odd, but both will keep corals it just matters as to your style.

I mean what are we looking at cost wise? 1200? Im just confused on how high to keep the lights above the water? Any tips or hints on what you all have would be great! Or what systems you all run. I had a marine land reef capable but come to find out its just **** (incapable). Looking to just redo the whole lighting with income tax refund. Thanks for the help guys!

It depends on which light that you get, what corals you keep, and how deep the tank. I have seen them anywhere from 6 inches to 4 feet above the water level.

After buying them I would start at 18 inches or so and work up or down as needed.

I'm looking to buy custom curved stands that will be drilled into the aquarium stand then hang over the water. Just trying to decide what height to have the metal cut for them.

Overall my main concern is that the AI will have enough light in my 21 inch deep tank to keep corals on the sand bed? I don't want to buy awesome lights and have them not give me the par needed to keep any corals I'm after. Not really looking to do a lot of sps coral just a few....

Again- any height you want. I would suggest at least 8" off of the tank so it's easy to put your hand/arm in if need be. Any of the fixtures mentioned above can literally grow sps on the sand bed at that height.

LOL..but "Awesome Lights" give you as much PAR as you need.

Thanks a lot for the help guys! I just want to get it done right the first time and be done with it. The AI lights seem to have all the bells and whistles so ill prob go with them....again thanks for the help. I will post pics with the final results when I install them.

Taotronics recommend minimum of 10 inches off the water. Their circuits are not waterproof.

Or you can hang from a single point from the ceiling.

SRC

Attachments

• image-494264360.jpg
    image-494264360.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 45
Back
Top Bottom