LED lighting advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joshpwolf

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,

I'm looking to go with a marine land Reef Capable LED Lighting System. I currently have a FOWLR tank but I want to keep my options opened for the future if I would choose to go reef. Does any one have any opinions/advice/personal reviews on this light? I have a 75 gal tank 48'' long and I was going to get the 36''-48'' which would have 36-10,000K white 1w led’s, 6-460nm blue 1w led’s, 2610 lumens.

Also is it a good idea to have a lunar light on at night for the tank. I currently have a light that cane with the CL tank I bought is has a name of VATON and had 2- 175w M57 bulbs tanks work and 2 double bulb Aqua lux 96w act&10KK which I can not get to work.

Thanks for all the help

My LFS is using these lights on both their fresh and sw tanks. they have one on their coral tank. Looking at it to me, I don't see enough light for a reef, but I could be wrong on this. They are really small and sleek.

Those reef lights are not reef friendly. At most you could maybe keep some soft corals. if you read the description they have now changed it to read "some corals". :)

There are alot better options out there so I'd keep looking.

Good luck!

Anyone have any recommendations for a light that would work best for me. I will most likely be staying FOWLR for a few years. Also I’m hoping to stay between $200-$400 for a light. the tank is a 75 gal. 48" long. any good websites for good prices and products would be helpful also

Thanks,

Josh

Yes, I have a good solution in your price range. I'm using these:
Aquarium Coral Reef Tank black Blue LED Grow Light 120W | eBay
So far my SPS corals are enjoying the Chinese knock-off LED panels.
SPS is gaining color and I do see Growth.
These pendants don't have any bells and whistles. They are just On/Off white, On/Off blue, but I am happy with the way they look for the price.
You will need 2.

Yes, I have a good solution in your price range. I'm using these:
Aquarium Coral Reef Tank black Blue LED Grow Light 120W | eBay
So far my SPS corals are enjoying the Chinese knock-off LED panels.
SPS is gaining color and I do see Growth.
These pendants don't have any bells and whistles. They are just On/Off white, On/Off blue, but I am happy with the way they look for the price.
You will need 2.

Doug, happen to have any pics of your tank with these lights?

Ok ill check them out. Im really nit sure if led is the way to go. I'm up for any other suggestions led or anything else.

Thanks

Ok ill check them out. Im really nit sure if led is the way to go. I'm up for any other suggestions led or anything else.

Thanks
Well, what are you trying to achieve?
Enough light to grow whatever you want without heat or absurd electric usage? LED is definitely the way to go.
Not having to change bulbs for 5 years or so?
LED again.

There are other ways to skin a cat, but if you are going FOWLR now, you will have to run the halides or t5's on your fish only, and deal with possible heat issues and a large electric bill, not to mention you'll have to change the bulbs out yearly. Seems like a waste of money.

Ok it sounds like led to me lol. If find any pics of ur lights please post I would like to see how they look.

Thanks again,
Josh

I just took some new pics. Yes, the SPS is showing growth and increasing color.
Even those montis I put in recently look better, and the bases are turning from brown to blue.

No matter how much I look at other units, I still think I am going towards the EcoTechs. It sure is pricey, but it is only 2 paychecks and all my bills are paid off for March already. It'll be nice to be able to turn them way down so my corals can adjust and slowly increase them. That and turn on T-storm mode for all the storms we've been having already!

Back
Top Bottom