LED lighting comments...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gooyferret

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been looking and researching LED moonlight lighting for aquarium use. Is this practical to use? Most places say that its a benefit to have on an aquarium, and of course they want to sell it. They say that its a means of Moonlight that helps spawning and reproduction of corals and fish. Well if thats the fact then when does poor Nemo sleep? :lol: Do fish need the darkness for sleep? This is a bothering and interesting topic IMO and just want some comments and suggestions. Also what about the critters and other life inside the tank that come out at night..Do they not come out at all? Or does the LED lights encourage that? Comments and Thoughts on the habits and sleep of "Nemo" thanks.

Unless you set up the LED to go thru cycles like the moon where some period of teh month you have it off to represent a new moon and you then slowly increase the intensity till its a a point to represent a full moon your really not simulating the mooncycles that alot of creatures key off of.

LED's themselves are still a new technology as far as the high intensity LED's. I have a LED flashlight and I am amazed by its light output. If hey can make them to a point that they put out as much light as a power compact bulb and the correct specitrum then that would really be something to talk about.

Fish do need to rest and i know from observation they appear to be triggered by the light cycle.

If you'll look at one of the really good light controllers, they have moon phases that are pre set...or you can program your own. I'm thinking the Octopus and maybe the Neptune will do this. Big $$ for one of those though.

Back
Top Bottom