Led lighting for 125g-help needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mightyreefer87

Aquarium Advice Activist
Help needed to figure out if the Led lights I'm looking at will work or not. My tank dimensions are 72x24x18 with a center brace. I've been thinking of using two

image-1079062967.jpg

One on each side of the tank, I plan on adding a third in the center later on when the tank matures more, and I'm about to start adding corals.

Would this be adequate lighting for a mixed reef tank? Or only suitable for softies?

2 of those would be perfect
you will be able to grow anything and best part be the last set of lights you will buy for a long while(y)

here is 1 on my 3ft tank as you see it covers the whole tank

img_2438520_0_dd1e0aee471cbaec2eb23bb5f1d74f2c.jpg

img_2438520_1_66e3d8a819d973e7abe25dce5190f093.jpg

I use these over my reef tank, Its an sps reef 75g and they do great. I actually bought them as temps till i upgrade to my 140g cube but I couldnt be happier and am considering useing them on my cube instead of buying AI Vegas. I would get 1 for each braced section. I had one over a 40g (3ft) and I wouldnt do it again the PAR levels on the sides where just to low for my liking

I use these over my reef tank, Its an sps reef 75g and they do great. I actually bought them as temps till i upgrade to my 140g cube but I couldnt be happier and am considering useing them on my cube instead of buying AI Vegas. I would get 1 for each braced section. I had one over a 40g (3ft) and I wouldnt do it again the PAR levels on the sides where just to low for my liking

do you have the 90* lenses they make a big difference

do you have the 90* lenses they make a big difference

Optics make the beam more narrow and focus the light to go deeper. I dont use them because studies have shown that optics are not needed on leds unless the tank is 24" or deeper. Tanks shallower then that do not need optics
These leds without optics use are 120 Degrees this allows a more even spread of light and gives you more then enough PAR for corals even at the bottom of the tank. I have a Monti that has grown from 3" to over 6" in the last 4 months and it sits on a rock on at the bottom of my 75g. for a standard 125 he has no need for optics and infact I would say to avoid them.

There are few things that I know very well in this hobby and its Bare bottom tanks and LED's :) I love LED's and think they are one of the best things that has happened in this hobby in a long time. Every tank in the hobby should be running LED :brows:

Optics make the beam more narrow and focus the light to go deeper. I dont use them because studies have shown that optics are not needed on leds unless the tank is 24" or deeper. Tanks shallower then that do not need optics
These leds without optics use are 120 Degrees this allows a more even spread of light and gives you more then enough PAR for corals even at the bottom of the tank. I have a Monti that has grown from 3" to over 6" in the last 4 months and it sits on a rock on at the bottom of my 75g. for a standard 125 he has no need for optics and infact I would say to avoid them.

There are few things that I know very well in this hobby and its Bare bottom tanks and LED's :) I love LED's and think they are one of the best things that has happened in this hobby in a long time. Every tank in the hobby should be running LED :brows:

Just so OP can see light spread this is them without optics over my 75g, I have 2, The first picture is very blue for some reason when i take a picture of the whole tank but it is not that blue at all. this is wtih blues at about 50% and whites at 30% I am ramping them up currently because I just added some new SPS colonies

Heres a better look at its true color

Back
Top Bottom