Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-22-2011, 01:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

LED lighting options for coral tank

I was gonna post this in my build thread but figured I'd get more exposure with it's own thread and more people would see it.

I have a 24 X 13 X 15 high rimless 20g tank I just purchased. I want leds for sure on this tank.

I am currently using a nanotuners PAR38 3watt X 5 bulb and another PAR 38 led bulb, I believe it's 15 1 watts bulbs. I was using it on my Pico and got some good growth and color. Exactly what i wanted.

what i want to keep in this particular tank is ANY coral I want and a clam and maybe a mini maxi anenome.

Would this setup suffice? I have almost a 3 inch sandbed so theres only about 12 inches of water to penetrate to get to the sandbed.

First off, I am not the DIY kinda person, no matter how much you guys say it's easy I know I can't do it. I wanted to do the diy upgrade to my cube but couldn't do that lol.

My thoughts are since the tank looks so weird with two fixtures was to get an all in one fixture with leg mounts. I can't hang anything so that's out.

I was looking at the marineland "reef capable" leds and was thinking maybe to get one of them. Or even two if needed.

What are everyones thoughts on this? Should I keep what i have or get a new fixture? And will one marineland unit be enough? This tank will be almost entirely corals. I want sps as well, even the more light demanding ones. This tank I want no limits on.

And would 2 of those marineland units be overkill?

Thansk for your thoughts people, looking forward to see what you all think and if you have any other options for me. I am a total LED noob.

If this belongs in the equipment section, sorry.....feel free to move it

Old 08-22-2011, 07:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Awww c'mon, I know someone has an opinion. LOL

Am I heading in the right direction? Are led's gonna do it for this small tank or should I be looking at metal halides?

I love the shimmer from the leds, but I also want the best option available for my purposes.

Thanks in advance, I know you guys will help me out! LOL

Old 08-22-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I heard the marine land reef capable LEDs are not good for coral lol. That's all I really can contribute since I know next to nothing on LEDs.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

So I am scouring ebay for potential fixtures. I'm not against getting a cheap fixture as long as it can support my corals.

here is one
NEW 120W LED GROW CORAL AQUARIUM WHITE BLUE REEF TANK | eBay

and some more

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

120 Watt Aquarium Coral Reef Tank LED Grow Light 120W | eBay

White Blue LED Aquarium Reef Coral Grow Light Panel 50W | eBay

120 Watt Aquarium Coral Reef Tank LED Grow Light 120W | eBay

I'm only half way through but wanted to know if I;m in the right ball park.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Those look nice, I was going to have some made by someone but I'm still doing a lot of research on LEDs. I want to make sure I get what's best for my corals. Especially having a 24" deep tank.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yeah, I figure I can get away a bit cheaper since I only need to penetrate 12 inches of water. At least I hope I can
Old 08-22-2011, 09:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Yeah I'd say so lol, the par rating for those are very good at 12". You could grow anything! It's suppose to be equivalent to a 250watt MH. Just would have to watch out for bleaching possibly lol. I'm thinking of doing a nano with LEDs before I invest big money for my 90.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:26 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Well after researching til my eyes bled, I think I'm either gonna stick with the PAR38 I have currently or I am gonna switch to metal halides.

So much for my rimless led build.

Just disgusted today...grrrr...between this and the aqucon thing I;m at my wits end.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:01 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

for a 20 gallon tank i wouldn't worry about the marine land . \

why don't u go with something like this

Hight quality 60W CREE LED Aquarium Light products, buy Hight quality 60W CREE LED Aquarium Light products from alibaba.com

you should just buld your own. 1 cree for every 12-15 inches of surface area
Old 08-23-2011, 12:09 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I went to the site and they asked for all this information and theres no price available until you give them your information, including company name.

What if I got 2 marineland reef capable fixtures? Or maybe get another PAR38 bulb? I really just want plug and play ability. i can't hang the fixture either, high vaulted ceilings.....grrr.....

If I went halides would a 150w or 250w be best?

Any opinions welcome.

Thanks so far guys...

Tags
coral, led, led lighting, light, lighting, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com