LED lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Once it is done cycling it will just be fish only and a bubble tip. But eventually we would like to add corals (nothing specific) at some point.

Our LFS said those grow algae badly. Did you experience that?

If you maintain your water quality( keep nitrates and phosphates low) you will not have any algae issues. This is true for any light.

And don't trust your lfs. They are there to make money. They aren't always as knowledgable as you would think.

No nems for around a year wait till the tanks established completely a nem will require high light and goid flow

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Great! Thank you!

We won't be getting a bubble tip until it is well established. We made that mistake the first time and got one after only 5 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I wouldn't put a nem under an orbit light, they're not strong enough. The units Dave suggested though would work for anything you wanted.

I have that orbit light and dont like it. I have lost some SPS corals. If you are not sure what corals you want, get a light that will grow anything. I replaced the orbit with 2 120W dimmable LED panels for $85.93 each. Much better lights.

Thank you!! We will return it once it gets here and try out the other LED lights

I know I am late to comment, but as the other posters said the orbit is not a good choice if you want corals. I wrote up a nicve review on my thread the other day on it. :)

I have it over a shallow 40b tank and it cannot grow sps and lps is just about the limit for it. My nem is reaching for the light as well, def not enough for him. Over a 75g it would be almost useless. :-(

The tao unit mentioned early on is a great choice as it dims and will keep anything you want to keep as far as lighting goes.

I will have to read that thread. I am a bit disappointed bc we were really excited about storm effects!

To be honest, I only show those storm effects when someone comes over. ;lol They arent very practical really. All it does is freak out the fish. The light color is awesome and the programming is easy but the light just wont produce. :-( Shame too cause they look fantastic. I am keeping mine over the 40g and only keeping soft corals and some lps now. I will be moving the nem and other high light corals over to another tank.

I'm having the same problem with my orbits. My rose bta is really reaching for the light. My question is if I get one of the led lights on ebay as suggested. It says it is 120 wats. Will that raise my electric bill alot.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The tao panels dont pull much electricity at all to be honest. It shouldnt impact the bill much at all.

The reefbreeders photon series are nice the are programable and dim able but they are right at the budget

Back
Top Bottom