Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-18-2011, 03:15 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thank for all the help guys I'm still not sure what I'm gonna get but at least I have possibilities, those xm-l's look like the way to go if I just save up for them and who knows, by the time I have the money, they may come out with some more advanced lol

Old 08-18-2011, 03:36 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrown4u View Post
Thank for all the help guys I'm still not sure what I'm gonna get but at least I have possibilities, those xm-l's look like the way to go if I just save up for them and who knows, by the time I have the money, they may come out with some more advanced lol

Well remember the XM-Ls are only for the whites , you need the XR-Es for the RB.

What size is your tank.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:40 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh okay, thanks for clearing that up for me lol I was thinking 40-45 xm-l's for blue and white
Old 08-18-2011, 04:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrown4u View Post
Oh okay, thanks for clearing that up for me lol I was thinking 40-45 xm-l's for blue and white
they don't have blue ones yet.

I'd say

26 royal blue XP-E
8 cool white XM-L
4 netrual white XM-L

Remember each set of lights requires its own dimmer power supply
Old 08-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Wow, I've been following this and I am lost already. You guys are soo good at this stuff.....LOL
Old 08-18-2011, 05:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Wow, I've been following this and I am lost already. You guys are soo good at this stuff.....LOL
I've been reading up on it for the last week.

I think its simple

Right now Cree's put out the most light per voltage. The XP-E is their oldest LED and its a 3watt nothing else on the market currently comes close to that . However Cree has put out the XM-L series which is a leap above the XP-E

1 cree light will put out the same Par as up to 8 leds from other manufacturers.

The benifit of led is how long they last and how little power they use compared to other bulbs
Old 08-18-2011, 05:43 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I know the benefits of the led's just not all this cree stuff. I get the par too just not sure how it all ties in. For instance I have a cree par38 bulb that I use for my pico, it has 3watt leds, five of them. So 15 watts total, BUT I dont get how that matters. lol

You are talking to a total led noob. lol I'm asking cause I intend on going leds with my new build so I've been following alot of the threads on it but it all seems like japanese to me hehe
Old 08-18-2011, 07:09 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Haha carey I'm learning as I go thanks to people on here(including you lol) and since I have to get dimmers for each set, could I get just the cool whites instead of cool and neutrals? And I didn't see you ask the tank size before, it's an 80g
Old 08-18-2011, 07:56 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was just recently at a commercial trades show and ran across a lighting mfr that is making led street lights and high bay lighting. The sales rep said that they use Cree leds in their fixtures. I'm thinking that if it's good enough for street lights and other commercial fixtures that have to last long and stand the test of time and extreme weather, i would want to use those leds in my light setup.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:11 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishEggs View Post
I was just recently at a commercial trades show and ran across a lighting mfr that is making led street lights and high bay lighting. The sales rep said that they use Cree leds in their fixtures. I'm thinking that if it's good enough for street lights and other commercial fixtures that have to last long and stand the test of time and extreme weather, i would want to use those leds in my light setup.
As an electrical contractor, we are using them more and more. We would use them for everything except the customer doesn't want to pay for them. LOL Which manufacturer was it? Just curious. I have a good size order coming up for a project and maybe I can get them to throw some LEDs in as an insentive. LOL

Tags
led, light, lighting, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com