Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-13-2011, 07:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
LED reef lighting

Anyone know any good websites besides eBay where I can find inexpensive lights for my aquarium?

Dbrown4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Check Catalina Lights. They have nice ones for a good price

Smile, it makes folks think that you're up to something.

Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay cool, thanks
Dbrown4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:56 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie
If you want to go DIY with the LEDs, check out rapidled dot com. They are highly recommended from the reviews I have read and that's where I am picking up my LEDs from.
Wezer89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
there is no such thing as inexpensive LED lighting that can support corals. you are going to spend about 400+ per 2 feet, minimum.
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:21 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
[double post

sorry about that
gljvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:07 AM   #7
OCReef 60 Watt CREE Silo High Power Aquarium LED Light Fixture

These are good.

However Cree has new XM-L lights that are more efficent and brighter than the XP-G and XP-E

DIY yourself is def the way to go.

I'd also go XM-L instead of of the XP-G or XP-E

Take a look at this

What this shows you is

XM-L 3.3V for 900L at 2.9amps
XP-G 3.52V for 450L at 1.4amps
XR-E 3.7V for 225L at 1amp

The XM-Ls use less power to produce the same light and you can use fewer power supplys for the same amount of lights with the newer bulbs saving you money else where.

Of course the oldest XR-E bulbs are just over $6 while the XM-L is just over $11 but you need less XM-Ls

If you build your own your going to want cool white and Neutral white. I can't find the Royal blue ones for sale anywhere at the moment so you would most likely go with an older XP-G or XR-E verison.

I'm looking at a 30l or 40 gallon tank for my build in sept.

I'm thinking about 32 LED's

8 Cool White XM-L
4 Neutral White XM-L
20 Royal Blue XR-E

those with 70 or a 100 degree optics
I was going to also go with two Mean Well dimmable drivers

I'm on the fence about a few moon lights.

If your going to build one i sugest drilling holes in your heat sink so you can screw the lights in. That way in the future you can replace the Royal Blue XR-E with XM-L or something more advanced when they come out.

The goal is to get power down as much as possible and give your tank a great look.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:51 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

In a recent post by "GregCoyote" "I agree that there are many bad units out there. Some are not even wired right. But the technology is brain dead simple from an electronic point of view. There are bargains out there, and those are what I am using because I am basically cheap. I researched it a lot and found a supplier that I am happy with...so far. I have gone for many, many 1 watt LEDs, rather than fewer higher powered parts. Dary has a more sophisticated fixture than mine are, so I guess it was a bit higher in price. I hope Dary has a good experience as well. Anyone using these should post their experiences with both good and bad units, as well as how a broad selection of corals respond. They decrease in price every year, so soon, they will be the predominant light source just from an economy/environmental impact. MH and T5 isn't going anywhere, but for many they are too much expense and trouble."

Point - Greg may be able to point you into another "Cheap" alternative.
TLTGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:39 AM   #9
I dunno if he can DIY it a 80 g tank done properly needs most likely 50/54 LEDs or less

30RB at $7 each = $210
16CW at $11 = $176
8NW at $11 each = $88
heatsink $50
Dimmers/power supplys $110

Total $634

Now if he wants to save money he can use all the XP-E @ $7 each .

Total $538

It depends on his tank. I could go 24 on my 30L and be really fine with them dimmed alot. He could most likely get away with 40 or so.

for me 8@11 = $88 and 16@7 is $112. Heat sink $20 and dimable power supplys $60 so i'd spend $280 and get something much better than anything in that price range most likely up to the $500 price range.

I'd love to see links to something better and cheaper
Old 08-18-2011, 07:57 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
As an electrical contractor I know a bit about lighting however, it is for occupied spaces not aquariums. Not having had a chance to research the needs of corals I can't evaluate the different types of LED available. Having said that, I received an e-mail yesterday for a manufacturer promoting their LED lighting and I saw something I thought was very cool that could maybe be adapted to aquarium lighting. If any of you are experts I would love for you to take a look at this and tell my what you think.

LEDwaves.com | LED Light Bars | Multicolor LEDs | iGlo LED Set (RGB Light Strip with Wi-Fi Controller Unit)

Since my tank is a birthday present to my wife, everything I spend going forward is just an extension of my love for her right?
rdnelson99 is offline   Reply With Quote

led, light, lighting, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com