LEDs vs T5/T8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ted

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am a beginner to saltwater and my tank just finished cycling. I have a SeaClear 50 gallon all in one starter with a built-in section in back housing the protein skimmer(which doesnt work very well as micro bubbles fill the tank so I disconnected it) and bio-ball chamber running of just one power head.
The lightings is a basic T12 6000k 50/50 full spectrum single socket hood. For now I just pick live rock straight from the ocean and got one live coral and what looks like zoanthids. In the future I would want to raise corals and stuff so my question is what are the pros and cons of LEDs vs fluorescent?

Attachments

• DSC02904.jpg
    DSC02904.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC02901.jpg
    DSC02901.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 84
Although T5's work great, and that's what I have, I would have to say LED's are the way to go.
They are around the same price.
My T5's run me about $400 annually for bulb replacement, LED's are good for approximately 10 YEARS!!
Because of that simple fact, I will be upgrading to LED as soon as i am financially able.

So will LEDs be enough Quantity and Quality of light to keep corals alive? If so for my 50gal 21" high tank what would be enough of these little lights?

Many people on this site have had good luck with Taotronics LED's. Low cost, and from what I've seen good-great results. They have dimmable units and non, but the dimmables are better. One unit would do just fine for you.
Google it and see what you think.

There are lots of options, including DIY LEDs. I'm not aware of any LED units being that long other than DIYs. I have 2 Ecotech Radions above my 55 gal, they are great but quite expensive. I'd look into DIYs, there should be several threads about people doing them, or the taotronic ones.

Give your skimmer some time the micro bubbles may clear up.

I made my own 90w (9x10w) dimmable fixture, I'm pleased with it, although I wish it was a little more powerful, but I can tweak it a little later on if need be.
It cost me about $175 (85% eBay / 15% radio shack)

I used 10w hybrid emitters and I love the color. They are 2/3 blue 1/3 15000k white.

Flreefer said:
Many people on this site have had good luck with Taotronics LED's. Low cost, and from what I've seen good-great results. They have dimmable units and non, but the dimmables are better. One unit would do just fine for you.
Google it and see what you think.

I have looking at those taotronics led lights. Is their a way to retrofit into a canopy? We have a 180g tank currently,with t5's. Also, how many fixtures would I need? 2? If only 2, then I am afraid some of the light would be lost on the top braces of the tank. We have 2 top braces. The cost is great, am really interested.

Thx, Paula

What are the tank dimensions? I have 2 radions above my 55. I would assume 2 above a 50 would be similar for coverage due to support braces. In terms of the canopy, you would just hang them in the canopy like it was the ceiling. Making sure of course that they arent so low that youll cook your coral with sich strong light.

The tank is 72 x 24 x 24. They claim that each is the equivalent of a 400watt metal halide. If that is the case, 2 would be plentiful, if not over powering. Right now, I only have a few mushrooms, sun polyp and pom Pom polyp. All for low lighting, as I only have 4 x 54 watt t5's. Those guy will have to move way down if I get these. Going to see if they make a dimmable version.

Thx!

I have the same tank, also with T5's (780 watts).
They do make a dimmable version and you would need 3 fixtures, to avoid the braces.
LED's are very powerful in the way of useable light, and you would be able to keep any corals you choose.

Back
Top Bottom