Lemme Know your best Configuration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish4brains

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK, here goes. As you can see I'm new here, but have been reading posts for almost a year here now. 8O I'm finally getting ready to take the plunge and am hoping some of you would take this opportunity to tell me how you would outfit this tank for your 'dream system' - within off course - economic reason. I have purchased a 150g tall drilled tank with corner overflow. I hope to do a nice lil patch of reef with associated fishies, however, right now I would just like advice on how to make a sound setup with regards to light - planning 4 MH w/ t5 or vho's - also, filtration - LR & Sump, Skimmer - Really need help here... heat, test kit, whole shebang (read any other crucial items I shouldn't omit). I like the advice here, since it isn't as biased as the LFS can be.
Thanks in advance - sorry so long, glad to trade discus hints and tips, as I have kept & bred them for some time.

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
It sounds you are off to a great start. The best advice I can give is to use lost of LR (1.5-2lbs/gal) for bio-filtration, use submerged LR rubble in the sump for more filtration, start off with a good skimmer and RO/DI unit. IMHO, these are the few single best things you can do for your tank. Above all...research, research, research.

WELCOME TO AA!!

Please do not cycle your tank with live animals.

All of the above is very sound advice. Your lighting need will depend on what type of corals you want to keep. On Mhs, if you have a deep tank, you might want to go with a higher Wattage for deeper water penetration. (I'll let the reffer folks help when you decide on what you really want).
Heaters: I prefer titanium, they won't break. I like my Finnex digital heaters.
Power Heads: I have a 125G that I use 4 SEIO 820s.
Test kit, for reef, I'm not sure, (reefers)?
Titanium grond probe.
Salt
Thermometer
Refractometer
I like to buy most of my stuff from drsfosterandsmith.com. They have great prices and don't charge extra for weight.
I agree, if you can do about 1.5-2Lbs of rock per gallon, you won't really need a filter. If you are looking to cut costs, use a mixture of base rock and some LR.
That's about all I can think of, at the moment. Please feel free to chime in and add anything I missed.

Back
Top Bottom