Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-17-2005, 03:14 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via Yahoo to tinman
I used 2 damsels to cycle my tank too. I got that advice from the fish store before I stumbled onto this board. Thank god for these forums, alot of great advice here. I added the LR and LS the same time as I added the fish and actually I never saw any extremities. The tank cycled quickly(2 weeks) and the fish never looked or acted stressed. But now I have the pain of trying to get them back out...lol

tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 03:45 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
If I were you I would put all 3 clowns in the tank at the same time, making sure that two of them are definitely smaller than the first and hope for only one female and 2 juviniles among them. Any male/neuter can change to female, but once female there's no going back and there would be defnite dominance issues. The ones that have not changed to male/female are neuter. Optimal would be to only add one more. They're best in pairs (unlike chromis who do better in odd numbers 3...5...).

As I'm sure you're already aware the Tang is an ich magnet. I would try to minimize his stress during transition as much as possible (catch/acclimate/move at night) so that he's less likely to fall ill.

The stuff in your current tank is definitely 'cured'. That just means that everything that's going to die in mass on that rock has already died and broken down and the rock is no longer a risk to cause an ammonia spike.

After looking at pics of LR from LR.com it looks like my impression of the LR from the LFS was niave
I was hoping you'd see their stuff. I'd never seen anything quite like it before locally. They take it straight out of the ocean (after planting it there themselves) so it is as fresh as fresh gets and teaming with life and since it is aquacultured they're not destroying any part of nature by removing it.

Just think twice about those damsels before putting any rock in. Most people who have them are sorry they do and are looking to get them out!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 03:03 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to AR15 guy
I know crushed coral isn't ideal but besides sand what else should be used as substrate?

I had crushed coral in my 38 gallon a few years back and it did fine.

AR15 guy is offline   Reply With Quote

cycling, rio

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com