Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-02-2004, 10:04 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ya, I would go ahead and add some hermits, and snails. They will help your cause.

Old 09-02-2004, 11:14 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nooo.. not until the cycle has finished :P

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 01:22 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

Re: Phosphates, I will need to check into methods of reducing those - I do use an RO unit (no DI) now.

Re: Flakes - haven't added any - I figure there is enough nutrients in there from the 70lbs of uncured tonga live rock as it is.

Re: Water Movement - I run a 1000gph (4100lph) pum in my sump with a HOB overflow on the rear right corner, and a single return head on the rear left corner. I added yesterday a zoomed rotating 228 PH which says its good for 290gph and stuck it to one of the side walls where hopefully it can do some good.

Cycle is still truckin' My n02 levels are slowing dropping but the n03 levels are sky-high - Should I wait until both n02 and n03 are gone before adding hermits/snails, or do I only need to wait until the n02 is gone? ** I am in no big rush and certainly do not wish to torture anything.**

In addition to the Tonga rock, I have an order 'on-hold' with LR.com for 40lbs of keys rock. I must say Mike has been very helpful and accomodating. We are going to wait and only add it to my existing setup when things level off.

Thanks again - This forum has been / continues to be very helpful.

Nate C
Old 09-02-2004, 01:55 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Once both ammonia and nitrites are undetectable, your cycle is complete. It's quite rare for nitrates to decrease as NNR will take some time to occur, if at all.. and so your foremost method of reducing these will be water changes. 25% or so should be changed at the end of the cycle, and then you're good to start adding the cleanup crew.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae, cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com