Let me dbl check what I need

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ducati1212

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have my new 29 Gal tank Its going to be a reef tank. a few fish some inverts, live rock, Not sure about corals yet.

So I plan to get

lighting = compact florescent (Aqualight Dual Linear Strip(130W Total) )

Heater = Not sure what brand yet

Protein skimmer = Not sure here either how are the skilter ones.?

Here is where I get foggy

Do I need a power head.?
Do I need a filter or is the live rock enough or can I get a filter / skimmer combination.

Advice with product names would be a help. What am I leaving out.?

lighting = compact florescent (Aqualight Dual Linear Strip(130W Total) )

That's good for most corals and BTAs, IME. I had the same exact fixture on my old 29G.

Heater = Not sure what brand yet

You will need a 150W for that size

Protein skimmer = Not sure here either how are the skilter ones.?

Don't get a Skilter. It works pretty good WITH mods but IMO, it sucks in general. Get the best skimmer that you can afford. The better the skimmer, the heavier bioload ur tank can handle. I would recommend a Coralife Super Skimmer 125 for that tank. I had one on my old 29G and it did a great job w/o any problem.

Do I need a power head.?

You will need 2 PH's to creat random flows. Fish and corals will appreciate them alot.

Do I need a filter or is the live rock enough or can I get a filter / skimmer combination.

You do not need a filter. LR and skimmer are all you will need.

HTH

thanks

2 powerheads wow I was thinking none or maybe 1 What is a good brand model.

Thats good news about the filter I was confused a little, I thought I needed a filter and skimmer. I was starting to wonder where everything would fit but 1 skimmer should be great.

So
lights
2 Powerheads
Skimmer
Heater

Cycle for 6 weeks with live rock / sand and should be good to go.

Maxijets are good PHs for affordable price. I had 2 Maxijet 600 in my old 29G and they seemed to created enough flow.

Cycle for 6 weeks with live rock / sand and should be good to go.

You don't really have to cycle for exactly "6 weeks". Just watch the parameters (NH3, NO2). Some cycle takes as short as 1 week or as long as a few months, depending on how much LR/LS you have and other factors.

HTH. good luck on your new 29G. I had SO MUCH fun doing mine

waaaaaaaait a minute... so i filter is not needed for sw? Just live rock and a protein skimmer??? Even if you don't have a sump????

waaaaaaaait a minute... so i filter is not needed for sw?

Your substrate and LR, if suffecient and depending on bio load, should work.
I have a filter, but only really run carbon in it. I use it for extra water movement.

buttercup said:
waaaaaaaait a minute... so i filter is not needed for sw? Just live rock and a protein skimmer??? Even if you don't have a sump????
You also need adequate water movement around the live rock or it’s not going to work. I’d aim for 15+ tank turn over per hour IMO. i.e. a 55 gal tank needs 825+ gph flowing through it.

The live rock (1.5+ lbs per gal) just acts as surface area for bacteria as would bio-balls or other similar material in a wet/dry or canister. The advantage is since your entire filter is “within the tank” your clean up crew (small hermits, shrimp, snails, starfish, ect…) have full access to any food leftovers and waste from the fish. Wet/dry & canisters collect the waste and increase your no3 levels and need to be changed/cleaned frequently.

The other advantage is that sand/live rock house beneficial oxygen deprived bacteria that help complete the full nitrogen cycle and break down no3 to nitrogen gas which escapes the tank thus reducing the need to perform a lot of PWC.

The point of a good skimmer is to remove organics from the water before they have a chance to settle within the tank which also keeps your no3 low.

It’s still important to not overstock the tank and do pwc to replenish trace elements but a well established tank is much easier to maintain with lr/skimmer then without.

thanks, it makes sense now. its so weird to think NOT having a filter will make for easier maintenance!!! LOL.

Back
Top Bottom