Let there be light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

landshark

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does it matter If you have light for your aquarium? I have a Clownfish and a live rock.

In a fowlr system, the light doesn't matter too much. The look of it is up to you. I would still have one on it so there is some form of day/night, but I've run a tank that I only turn the light on to feed.

Thanx Sniper Hank....I had heard a bright light would kill my live rock....

Nope. Your rock is "live" because of bacteria that lives in and on it. Light won't do anything to harm that. Can you kill coral with extremely strong light and not slowly adjusting them to it? Oh yeah, I've done that before. But for rock, doesn't matter. It is only there as biological filtration.

Thanx...Its nice to get info from someone that knows what theyre talkin about...sometimes when I go to the pets store the people that work there sometimes dont have a clue when it comes to fish..

Thanx...Its nice to get info from someone that knows what theyre talkin about...sometimes when I go to the pets store the people that work there sometimes dont have a clue when it comes to fish..

Now that your a member here don't listen to a word the lfs tells you. 90% of the time they are gonna say what's needed to make a sale which most of the times are just lies lol. Don't get me wrong, there are amazing and very educated employees sometimes but they are seeming to become far and few between. Hank nailed it though. Unless you are keeping plants, corals, or inverts that need light (clams and Nems) then the lighting situation just depends on what you (and your wallet haha) like.

Just curious. Did you cycle the tank? A couple days ago you weren't sure if you wanted clownfish or freshwater bettas

Yep...decided to stick with the Clowns for now...I like them alot

But what I meant was, did you put the tank through the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate cycle? I assume not, considering that was a couple days ago. Although tough, your clownfish could definitely be in danger.

I ran a test in my aquarium...ph,nitrite,nitrate and ammonia and they checked out great.....

I certainly believe that. However, when you first add water to a tank, you will have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 0 nitrate.
However, having a fish in there now, you will get ammonia from the waste (ammonia is toxic to fish) The ammonia will turn into nitrite (toxic to fish) and ultimately into nitrate (not toxic in lower levels)

Before adding fish, it is highly recommended to cycle your tank by adding a non-living ammonia source.
Considering you already have your fish, I would do water changes every day.

But if you already have the fish, of course don't do that. If he's in the tank you really want to check your water every day and keep those numbers as close to zero as possible.
after a while, the bacteria will convert ammonia and nitrite so rapidly, that you'll never see them.

Sounds to me like you need to do a little more research.

Saltwater can be hard for beginners and knowledge is the key. Use this site for every step you take. Include pictures if you can and you'll get some great tips and advice.

Good luck

Yea this is a great site...Alot of really helpful fish lovers out there. .I monitor the water everyday......Research as much as I can......

ForumRunner_20130117_081215.jpg

Back
Top Bottom