lets do second tank!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artur

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everybody!!!!Just so you know i post today diffrend thread on <general hardware>.So please do not think im crazy and just spending time here like there is nothing else:-?Ihave 90 gal tank<you can see it on tank show case>I shoukd put some new pictures because the ones are there are old.The tank is more beautifull right now.I spend a lot of money on that tank i let the lfs do everything.I know i overpaid but that is to late to be sorry.Plus that hobby is really expansive in illinois i think.Anyway i got-90.gal tank<predrilled>two external pomps<1-filtration.2 circulation>skimmer,chiller,UV sterylizer<both in line>40.gal sump,drain walve.They put toghter everything ,all plumbing.I know i overpaid<total 3.500 bucs> But im happy becase it looks so great.Well since then i learn so much thanks to you guys:).Problem is i got for free 125 gal.tank with the stand.I want to make saltwater fish with live rock only.What is the cheapest way to do it?I know i need a good skimmer that for sure,maybe a UV too.Insted of chiller some cheap desk fans.But what about filter?Can i do it without sump just hang on back filter?You think that would work?Please if you have any ideas help me!!!!!For circulation maybe two maxi jets?Thanks for all yours suggestions.

the cheapest way to do it is to purchase good quality used components from "for sale" sections on forums like this one.
i'd purchase a skimmer rated for 200 gallons or so.
i'd skip the UV sterilizer for now. some swear by them, but i've never had a use for one.
you shouldn't have a problem with heat, because this is a fish only tank. you're not going to need powerful lighting over it.

it's possible to run a FOWLR with a cannister filter, or some hang on contraption, but i'd much rather a sump with refugium. if you go with mechanical filtration, clean it regularly.

for circulation, you'll need more than 2 MJ's. maybe a couple MJ's with sure-flo mods, or koralias.

I agree with Mr.X. The sump with a refugium will help you avoid algae issues. As for flow 2 Maxi jets just isn't going to do it in a 125. I would step up to some Koralia 4s they would give you the flow you are looking for.

On that size tank I would go with a sump or refuge also. You`ll be much better off. If you have enough LR with a skimmer you wont need external filter. Just need some PH`s to push the flow around.

Back
Top Bottom