Lets see if I got this right.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arminkropp

Aquarium Advice Freak
When I first start a SW tank Should I premix the Saltwater in a Rubbermaid container 2-3 days before the LR comes in to have it ready? Or should I mix it the day the LR shows up? If it sits for 2-3 days wont the cycle be starting slowly?

Or should I just add the subtrate in my tank and mix it in there a couple of days before the LR comes in

Thanx

Most people recommend to premix it and run a powerhead to mix it well. You can go ahead and put it in the tank with the substrate before the lr comes in. It will not cycle unless there is a source of ammonia so it will just aerate and heat well while you're waiting for the lr.

I would mix and heat it before the LR gets here and put the water into the tank. I'd wait on the sand until after you've situated the rock so that the rock is on the tank floor. The LR from LR.com comes with a HUGE amount of life on it that would be much happier in the warmer water.

Yea, get the water started, up to temp for a few days & make sure your SG is correct. Since it's a new tank it dosent matter if you "pre mix" it or not. Now once your tank is set up you want to premix your tank water before adding it into the tank during water changes, on top offs you don't add salt. :mrgreen:

Is it true adding LR will raise my SG?

I'm not sure on this one.

should I Premix my water with a lower SG so the LR will make up for it?

If you want you could go a little low and then raise it if needed. I keep mine @ 1.025 so if I thought I had a problem I might go to 1.021 and let it stablize before bringing it up to where I wanted it.

Back
Top Bottom