Let's talk about water change frequency

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fort384

Dividing by 0
Site Team
For the past 8 months of having my reef tank setup, I have been doing a 10-15% PWC once a week on my tank. This was mostly to keep Ca and Alk up as I wasn't dosing.

Now I have added a 2 part autodoser, and my test results are in the optimal ranges across the board...

0 NO3, 0 PO4, 420 Ca, 10dKH...

This is before doing my weekly water change this week... so can I reduce my PWC frequency now that things seem stable? What do you all do for water changes? How often? I realize that replenishing some trace elements is also important, but if I can reduce the water changes (and save myself time and money on salt mix) I would love to.

IMO I'd say you would be ok doing a 20-25% water change once a month, just watch your levels & see how much they change.

be very scarce with water changes

we think we know best, but the environment of a tank is very sensitive. even if the water is dirty, doing abrupt changes can kill all your fish. the best advice i ever got was to do a 25% water change evry 2 to 3 weeks...thats all. Remember that water changes very slowly in a tank giving your fish time to adjust. The quickest way to kill all your fish is to do a radical cleaning (and by radical I mean just 60%). Like everything in nature, it shouuld be done moderately, slow and steady.

It depends on what you have in your tank. Are you heavily stocked with fish and/or corals? Are your water parameters in check? Is it FOWLR? It also depends on how old your tank is, in my opinion. If it's a newer tank, then of course you'll need to do more water changes, but if you have a tank up and running for 8 to 10 years or more, you have a miniature ecosystem in place and may not need to do as many water changes. For example, if your chaeto in the sump is working FOR you.

I used to do 20% every two weeks, but lately, I've been doing a 20% change once a month. I'll keep that schedule up until my parameters tell me otherwise...

Following this one. I do 30 gallon pwc a week in my 180 fowlr tank . Stock is a porc puffer, emperor angel, whitecheek tang and a naso tang. Tbh I'm not really sure what would happen if I skip a week or 2.

Back
Top Bottom