Levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaineSalt

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've had my tank running for a week now and my levels have gone as follows

Temp
Day
1 - 79.3
3 - 78.9
7 - 79.1
Ammonia
Day
1 - 0
3 - .25
7 - .5
Nitrate
Day
1 - 5
3 - 10
7 - 10
Nitrite
Day
1 - .25
3 - .25
7 - .25 slightly higher
PH
Day
1 - 8
3 - 8.2
7 - 8.2
Salinity
Day
1 - 1.026
3 - 1.026
7 - 1.026

I'm color blind so these are as close as I can see.
Nitrite might have been a little higher day 3 and 7

So what should I be looking for next to show me things are moving in the right direction?

Thanks

Nick (mainesalt)

I've had my tank running for a week now and my levels have gone as follows

Temp
Day
1 - 79.3
3 - 78.9
7 - 79.1
Ammonia
Day
1 - 0
3 - .25
7 - .5
Nitrate
Day
1 - 5
3 - 10
7 - 10
Nitrite
Day
1 - .25
3 - .25
7 - .25 slightly higher
PH
Day
1 - 8
3 - 8.2
7 - 8.2
Salinity
Day
1 - 1.026
3 - 1.026
7 - 1.026

I'm color blind so these are as close as I can see.
Nitrite might have been a little higher day 3 and 7

So what should I be looking for next to show me things are moving in the right direction?

Thanks

Nick (mainesalt)

Over the next couple of weeks, your nitrates and nitrites will continue to rise. eventually, your ammonia and nitrite levels will decrease to 0. So when your ammonia and nitrites read 0, you're cycled! Nitrates will likely be pretty high at the end.

IME, the ammonia will drop to 0 and stay there about a week before the nitrites budge.

Sorry, is the way I worded this confusing? Lol

Nope that's perfect I followed ya

I'm making the three hour drive to buy more live rock tomorrow and I was debating buying one fish.
Will adding the live rock hurt anything?
And will the fish hurt anything?
Thanks

Nope that's perfect I followed ya

I'm making the three hour drive to buy more live rock tomorrow and I was debating buying one fish.
Will adding the live rock hurt anything?
And will the fish hurt anything?
Thanks

Don't add livestock until the cycle is over. But you can add as much rock as you want, it will actually help the cycle.

The fish may die!!!! and it is inhumane to add fish with a high ammonia level....live rock will be fine...cured or uncured live rock????? you may start another cycle...I would add live rock and monitor your levels your doing good so far by monitoring levels and seeing the cycle take place.....be patient believe me it will be better in the long run... I would not add fish until ammonia and nitrates are undetectable.... It will save money and grief with dead fish....

Ya I read some where one fish helps with increasing ammonia but ill try the dead shrimp idea maybe. It's a 40g with 20g sump. I already have 10 lbs of live rock and 2-3 inches of live sand so I was going to buy at least another 20 lbs of live rock all cycled tomorrow and I need a few other things.

Maybe I lost something...just woke up and have not had coffee yet...you said that you have had your tank running, but do not have a fish, a shrimp or anything added to provide ammonia? If so, it is not going to cycle. The whole process starts with ammonia.

Go with the shrimp method. There are lots of posts and articles around to explain that. Using a live fish subjects that fish to harmful levels of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

Maybe I lost something...just woke up and have not had coffee yet...you said that you have had your tank running, but do not have a fish, a shrimp or anything added to provide ammonia? If so, it is not going to cycle. The whole process starts with ammonia.

Go with the shrimp method. There are lots of posts and articles around to explain that. Using a live fish subjects that fish to harmful levels of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

Ammonia would be coming as die off from the live rock. Heck even dry rock will raise the ammonia in a tank.

I guess I didn't see the part about adding "more" live rock before the "going to get live rock" and "is live rock okay?".

Its going to need an ammonia source moving forward. Die off wont cut it.

I picked up one raw shrimp at the grocery store today? Ill toss him in haha

Back
Top Bottom