Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-02-2012, 03:18 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh witch is better 60 long or 48 long tank for 150 gallon the shorter the tank more oxygen exchange

Old 11-02-2012, 03:30 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Canopies don't have lights installed. First find out what lighting you are using so you can get the correct height of the canapoy. Wouldn't want to buy a canopy then a light that doesn't fit. MH lights get hot so might need a chiller. T5 HO lights work just fine and are cheaper and cooler. A 6 or 8 bulb would be good if you want to grow SPS. If you just want to grow soft and LPS corals then you might just want to go with a 4 bulb light. This is really general and isn't super accurate on how much light you will need. It's really about the PAR. You could even go with LEDs, they have some cheap LED fixtures like taotronics that will grow corals.

The more surface area the more gas exchange so the 60" long one would have more gas exchange. That shouldn't really be a major factor as it's not going to effect much. Personally I like the look of longer tanks. It makes it look larger and the 60" would be shallower so you wouldn't need as strong lights as you would with a deeper tank. However, do consider how much you'll be willing to pay for lights b/c the longer the lights, the more expensive. I have a 70 gallon that has weird dimensions so it's 60" instead of the standard 48. I have a 60" 6 bulb T5 HO light fixture from BRS. They were the only store that I found that sold 5 foot Sunlight supply TEK fixtures. I don't see them selling them anymore. The best option I'd say would be LEDs.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:07 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok keep this in mind and is there any need for airpump airstone that makes bubbles
Old 11-02-2012, 04:21 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

No and it can cause salt creep and some corals get annoyed and don't like it. The powerheads are used for aeration and water movement in SW.

- Winston Churchill
Old 11-02-2012, 04:34 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thank you figured that you bin very helpful to this rookie lol
Old 11-02-2012, 04:39 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh no problem! We all start somewhere .

- Winston Churchill
Old 11-02-2012, 04:50 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Weird to ask if I go away on vacation one week will tank be ok any water problems I read u can buy an automatic feeder I ask someone told be you can't go on vacation got to test everyday but im reading once aweek testing and once a month water changes only everytime you feed check temprature to make shore no changes I did that with fw hobby
Old 11-02-2012, 05:04 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Once a month water changes for me is too little. For reef tanks especially, but other tanks it's good too, doing 10% water changes every week helps tremendously. Especially if you don't have a protein skimmer than it's the only method of removing nitrates and such from your tank. More frequent smaller water changes are better than less frequent huge water changes. Some people have come home to a mess of a tank being gone only a short time. I think it would be okay if you had timers and an automatic feeder, but there's always something that could go wrong that you would want to prepare for. For me, I'd rather as a neighbor who's an adult or them and their kid b/c I wouldn't want them feeding too much on accident or something and ruining the system.

- Winston Churchill

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com