lfs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

solo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone who can tell me if pecto is a good place to buy marine supplies and fish and a marineland tank with pre drilled holes and built in over flow box is it good I read a built in over flow is the best from other thread posted can't decide on hob flowbox or built-in overflow box its hard to decide I'm reading saltwater aquarium for dummies I'm so lostsite saw tank www.drfosterandsmith.com

That site works. Marinedepot.com and bulkreefsupply.com are great saltwater specific online stores (well at least BRS is) and have great prices sometimes even better than petco and drfosterandsmith. Wouldn't buy anything from PETCO unless they have a sale on tank or equipment or something (which prob. still won't be cheaper than other online stores). You could always try them out and it really depends what petco you have b/c some are nice and take care of their animals while others don't. When I went to petco to look at their SW fish (went to 2 different petcos) 5 of their fish were dead and all their tanks had horrible algae, diatoms, and the fish looked terribly sick and super skinny. Would never buy something from there, and the employees usually don't know anything about the fish or how to care about them.

Thanks for tipand that why I Like to go to a lfs they know more about fish and equipment than petco or petsmart or petland ill look at does sites you mentioned I want to start small and add on with months go buy get good size tank fowlr then after I'm ok add corals and grow with this hobby

Going slow is the best thing you could do so glad you want to do that. What size tank are you getting?

When it comes to lfs, I have one philosophy that I stick to like religion.... Never trust what they tell you, period. Before making a purchase (which should never be done on impulse, anyway), ALWAYS walk away and research/verify any information you are given before laying down $$.

PetCo is great for their $1/gallon tank sales, otherwise I never enter the store.....

As far as online marine supplies, I have ordered from DRs F&S, Marine Depot, and BRS, and have no complaints with any of them or their service, though DRs F&S tend to have higher prices than everyone else. If you're planning on any purchase from BRS, check the "Community News & Announcements" section of AA, as there is almost always a bulk buy being set up where you can get some decent discounts.

75 100. 135 150. Gallon tank can't decide because in other thread they told me yellow tang in. 75 gallon is ideal but better in a 125 or 150 gallon tank can't decide cause I want nice color full fish blue tang clowns butterfly angelfish make a stock community tank

Whatever is the largest tank you can get, then go for it! A ton of people on here say 6' minimum for tangs. The reason is they are super active swimmers and their bodies stop growing in a small tank at a certain point, but their organs don't, so it compresses and they slowly die...that's why it's kind of cruel to keep one in such a little tank like most do. Lol not a tang police, but informing you of the reasoning behind it. You could always get a tomini or kole tang which only require a 70 gallon.

Thanks great advice I'm lol thinking big tank more room for fishes and live rock and do you know were u can get measurements for a 150 gallon tank I know 48-18-21 is for a 75 gallon tank I'm reading books to help decide setup but advice is awesome I don't want to put stress on fish

Glasscages.com - Home has lots of choices. Their 150 gallon is 48 x 24 x 31 Tall and their
150 Long is 60 x 24 x 25 Tall. They are selling these tanks for $638, BUT their tanks are really expensive anyway, even their small tanks. Plus shipping a glass tank is insanely expensive. It should be cheaper if you have a LFS, but definitely check craigslist for bargains. I keep seeing 125s and 140s w/ stand and filter for $100 and a 200 gallon tank & stand for $300. I'm so jealous!

Thanks I got a lfs I'm planning on tank with stand and canopy do some of them come with lights installed already in canopy I know for reef you need good lighting mh and t5

Oh witch is better 60 long or 48 long tank for 150 gallon the shorter the tank more oxygen exchange

Canopies don't have lights installed. First find out what lighting you are using so you can get the correct height of the canapoy. Wouldn't want to buy a canopy then a light that doesn't fit. MH lights get hot so might need a chiller. T5 HO lights work just fine and are cheaper and cooler. A 6 or 8 bulb would be good if you want to grow SPS. If you just want to grow soft and LPS corals then you might just want to go with a 4 bulb light. This is really general and isn't super accurate on how much light you will need. It's really about the PAR. You could even go with LEDs, they have some cheap LED fixtures like taotronics that will grow corals.

The more surface area the more gas exchange so the 60" long one would have more gas exchange. That shouldn't really be a major factor as it's not going to effect much. Personally I like the look of longer tanks. It makes it look larger and the 60" would be shallower so you wouldn't need as strong lights as you would with a deeper tank. However, do consider how much you'll be willing to pay for lights b/c the longer the lights, the more expensive. I have a 70 gallon that has weird dimensions so it's 60" instead of the standard 48. I have a 60" 6 bulb T5 HO light fixture from BRS. They were the only store that I found that sold 5 foot Sunlight supply TEK fixtures. I don't see them selling them anymore. The best option I'd say would be LEDs.

Ok keep this in mind and is there any need for airpump airstone that makes bubbles

No and it can cause salt creep and some corals get annoyed and don't like it. The powerheads are used for aeration and water movement in SW.

Thank you figured that you bin very helpful to this rookie lol

Weird to ask if I go away on vacation one week will tank be ok any water problems I read u can buy an automatic feeder I ask someone told be you can't go on vacation got to test everyday but im reading once aweek testing and once a month water changes only everytime you feed check temprature to make shore no changes I did that with fw hobby

Once a month water changes for me is too little. For reef tanks especially, but other tanks it's good too, doing 10% water changes every week helps tremendously. Especially if you don't have a protein skimmer than it's the only method of removing nitrates and such from your tank. More frequent smaller water changes are better than less frequent huge water changes. Some people have come home to a mess of a tank being gone only a short time. I think it would be okay if you had timers and an automatic feeder, but there's always something that could go wrong that you would want to prepare for. For me, I'd rather as a neighbor who's an adult or them and their kid b/c I wouldn't want them feeding too much on accident or something and ruining the system.

Back
Top Bottom