Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-28-2003, 05:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to dustybrannum Send a message via MSN to dustybrannum Send a message via Yahoo to dustybrannum
LFS in the Dallas,Tx area

I live north of Dallas and was looking for some stores close to me. I have made all of my hardware purchases online so far, but whence I start to make my LR and animal purchases I would like to be able to go and see them first.

Old 07-28-2003, 07:03 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

You should look into the Texas regional forum and post it in there

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 10:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
Well, since there isn't a thread in the Texas regional forum, here's a couple places for ya...

Boutique Pets
Notes: Talk to a guy named Bill. Good fish selection, knowledgable people, but very impolite

Dallas North Aquarium
Notes: Very nice-looking place, excellent tank selection, decent live stock selection, mediocre prices, few knowledgable people, several people that don't know jack, very polite

Aquatic Designs
Notes: Very nice people, most of them fairly knowledgable, very small place, poor tank selection, poor fish collection, does special orders, majority of their business is servicing tanks, excellent prices on live stock

Sorry if I should have waited to respond to the pending thread in the regional forum, but I was excited to see a fellow Dallasite into the hobby.

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 11:11 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Sorry if I should have waited to respond to the pending thread in the regional forum, but I was excited to see a fellow Dallasite into the hobby.
Don't sweat it, I was only suggesting he post there No guarantee he wanted to LOL

Old 07-29-2003, 04:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to dustybrannum Send a message via MSN to dustybrannum Send a message via Yahoo to dustybrannum
man were you ever right about the boutique being impolite, i just called to ask about a price and the guy wanted me to change my whole setup.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah, I used to talk to their head guy, Bill, exclusively because he really seems to know his stuff. However, he's such an incredible jerk and speaks to you so condescendingly, that I decided not to do business with them anymore. I break down and buy something from them on occassion when they're the only ones that have it or their price beats everyone else's, but that's about all. Not to mention it's a long drive from Plano, and even worse from Sherman, I'm sure.

Could we get this thread moved, Reefrunner? And access to the regional forum for dustybrannum?

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Old 07-29-2003, 05:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

im going to get about 150 lbs live rock soon any suggestions on where? what lfs do you use the most? did abt tropical on central in plano go out of business?
Old 07-29-2003, 05:26 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't know about the place on Central. Of the LFS the best price is usually Aquatic Designs. They're selling for $6 or $7 a pound, I don't remember which. I think if you're buying that much at a time Dallas North Aquarium is going to be better or equal at least because their prices drop per pound you buy and I think you get the best price possible at like 100 pounds. They have more of it at a time than Aquatic Designs does, too. However, if you want pure selection, Boutique Pets has a gigantic bin of rock in the back if you ask to see it. I believe they charge $9 a pound flat, though. They may deal with you. Make sure you talk to Bill, though. He may be a jerk sometimes, but he's the one that makes the decisions.

Old 07-29-2003, 05:46 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Isn't the Marine Center based out of Dallas, or close to it?

Old 07-29-2003, 09:36 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No idea, Reefrunner.

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com