Lfs....lies or truth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yash

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got my water tested today the lfs. The guy said ever thing is looking good except the ph. He said my ph is low and tried to sell me a 20 dollar bottle of buffer. Unfortunately I forgot my wallet at home so I could not buy it. Should I go back and buy the product or was he just pushing a sale? what should I do

What was the ph at? Depending on time of day the ph will change due to lighting. Do not use buffers. A lot of things can be changed and fixed with a simple water change.

Tomchong22 said:
What was the ph at? Depending on time of day the ph will change due to lighting. Do not use buffers. A lot of things can be changed and fixed with a simple water change.

He's absolutely right don't use chemicals to modify your ph it just makes it worse sometimes.

Agreed with above. Let us know what the pH tested at. 99% of folks can house 90% of the common species of fish without altering their pH, even if it is a little off. Stable and constant is more important than the exact value... When you add pH altering chemicals, it causes pH fluctuations.

He did not say, just said low.
Turned on lights at 8 in the morning and did test around 4:30.
How big of a water change?

was it a liquid buffer or a powder?

plus it depends how long the water sat out of the tank to determain what the PH is really at.

i would invest in your own test kits and do your own tests.

Agreed. You need a FW master kit from API. Responsible fish keeping requires a test kit.

Its a liquid buffer- Kent marine pro buffer

Btw it's a reef tank, It has live rocks and live sand. Been a week and half since I started cycling with shrimp

Well there is your answer the ammonia from your shrimp is lowering your ph. Ammonia is a acid. Do not do a water change. Just wait for the cycle to finish. It should be around 3ish total weeks. Get your own test kit and test every day.

It all depends on how low your pH is. If it is off by a few percents than usually a water change or two will bring it back up. If your pH is really low than you will have to use buffers. I had a pH problem and my lfs gave me enough for three doses and haven't the need for it since. I would highly suggest using Aquavitro. They have great customer service and will give you the best advice when using their products.

If your tank is currently in a cycle than that will explain your low pH due to ammonia. Wait a few more weeks for your cycle to complete than test your pH again.

Tomchong22 said:
Well there is your answer the ammonia from your shrimp is lowering your ph. Ammonia is a acid. Do not do a water change. Just wait for the cycle to finish. It should be around 3ish total weeks. Get your own test kit and test every day.

Okay will do.
I'll go back to the store a little more educated. Thanks for all the help guys.

Oh one more question, how often should I do my water changes since it's still cycling?

Never. Doing water changes during a cycle will only prolong the cycle. After do a 50% waterchange then for the next month 20% every week then from there on out 10% every week or 20% every two weeks.

Okay thanks a lot.
Gota say though, he really wanted to make a sale. He was trying to sell me everything from the buffer to a mating pair of clown fish for 80 bucks.

Back
Top Bottom