Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-06-2009, 10:25 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm pretty new to forums. Is it proper etiquette to continue a conversation through many unrelated questions or better to start a new thread for every question?

Well, either way, here goes!! I bought an "Oceanic 50 Gallon Show Tank" It's 30x18x18 but no matter where I look that equates to 40-42 gallons. Does this seem right?

Old 02-06-2009, 10:42 PM   #22
AA Team Emeritus

It depends on the questions. Usually uncommon specifics that may get lost in a large thread are asked separately, but they can very well be asked in your own thread about your aquarium. It is really up to you and whether you think the questions need their personal attending to by having their own separate thread.

Yes, 42g and congratulations on the purchase; Should have a blast setting up and diving in

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:14 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well, since its up to me and I've received loads of good advice so far I'm gonna introduce a new question! I've read all of the threads (fights) about lighting. In my 42g [30x18x18] would a fixture with two CF 65 watt bulbs be adequate for some polyps, soft corals, LPS, and an anemone?
Old 02-07-2009, 01:03 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

No.

Polyps, mushrooms, and *maybe* some of the lower light LPS corals would be OK... but not an anemone.

Can't say there are a lot of fights about lighting, say, compared to "what is the best salt mix?" But as with everything else, there's various opinions. If you want an anemone, I think you'll be needing to look into VHO lighting or a metal halide system. Anemones under PC lighting just don't seem to do well.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:46 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm a bit confused on the MH topic as well. How is a MH fixture you'd get at Home Depot for $30 less beneficial than a $600 pendant you'd buy from a reef supply store?
Old 02-07-2009, 02:18 AM   #26
AA Team Emeritus

You mean T5. VHO technically compare worse than Pc's and pc's can be used, but at a much higher wattage. I'd go the T5 route. The mh at Home Depot's or Lowes' usually have incorrect bulb ratings and get exceptionally hot, but if you can find a cooler running unit with proper spectrum you should be ok...
Old 02-07-2009, 02:51 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oops... yeah - T5. (Can you tell I'm just a PC guy!)

As Innovator mentioned, the bulbs and fixtures you get at the hardware store just don't have the right spectrum to them. Yeah... they work, but they're not really what coral want to grow under. There's also the issue that the fixtures are not really meant to be used in a "marine" environment. You're going to end up with salt crust on a lot of your equipment, and that normally doesn't bode well for cheapo electrical fixtures.

Check out hellolights.com - they've got some good deals on lighting. That's where I got my lighting setup when I started. If you don't intend to do SPS, then I'd avoid metal halide and just go T5, assuming you want the anemone. If you end up with no anemone, then PC should do you just fine.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:57 AM   #28
AA Team Emeritus

Also check out ReefGeek > Aquarium Supplies for Marine, Reef, and Saltwater Aquariums
Old 02-07-2009, 01:36 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Regular

Here's another question for you guys. My tank is 30" wide. If I go with a quad tube T5 fixture should I get a 24" or 36"?? 24 watts or 39 watts per bulb respectively. If I get a 36" fixture, can you flip the mounting legs to accomodate the wider hood? What are your ideas on this?? Will it look bad to have a hood that is wider than the tank? Will the light spilling onto the outside of the tank look bad?
Old 02-09-2009, 02:38 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to nanoluvr
In my opinion, If you can't find a 30" fixture, and 24" is the closest, I's probably go with that. You don't really need a fixture that's going to overhang 3 inches on both sides. I don't think it would hurt anything...I just don't think it's necessary. The mounting leg setup varies by manufacturer, but most of them should allow for adjustment to fit on the tank. Now....if you go with the 24"..you're probably going to have to hang it from the ceiling, unless it has legs that will sit on your glass top (assuming you have a glass top). Alot of them have little legs that are made to sit on the "frame" of the aquarium on either side.

Tags
lfs, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com