LFS Recommends...lower salinity in QT? Book:Freshwater dip??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckycat

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK, my LFS, which actually seems to have some pretty knowledgeable folks (I'm a newbie so I could be easily deceived, but most of their recommendations have been the same as what I've read here). I purchased my first fish today, little clownfish. I asked if they recommend a qt, they said definatley yes, for about 3-4 weeks. So, that was good.

They also said that they keep their salinity at 1.017-1.019 or so... to reduce stress on new fish? And suggested that I use that in my qt, then do a slow acclimination back to the display tank up to the 1.021-.022 level.

Is this right? Does a lower salnity reduce stress? If so why use a higher salinity?

On another note, I was reading a book that I have "Marine Aquarium Beginner to Breeder" that says you should acclimate new fish by putting them in FRESHWATER for 1-2 minutes (after floating the bag for 15 min to adjust temp), which will kill some parasites. If the fish begin to go into "shock" put them right in the display tank, otherwise net them out after 1-2 min and put them in the qt tank. Ever hear of that??

Thanks!

Re: LFS Recommends...lower salinity in QT? Book:Freshwater d

luckycat said:
They also said that they keep their salinity at 1.017-1.019 or so... to reduce stress on new fish? And suggested that I use that in my qt, then do a slow acclimination back to the display tank up to the 1.021-.022 level.

Is this right? Does a lower salnity reduce stress? If so why use a higher salinity?
At that level it actually does nothing either way. For the short time it's in the QT, the lower slainity will not harm the clown but it will not do anything else. Best keep the salinity at NSW levels of 1.024-1.025 (35 ppt) for both the QT and main tank. Only lower the salinity in the QT if you have need to treat for C. irritans

On another note, I was reading a book that I have "Marine Aquarium Beginner to Breeder" that says you should acclimate new fish by putting them in FRESHWATER for 1-2 minutes (after floating the bag for 15 min to adjust temp), which will kill some parasites. If the fish begin to go into "shock" put them right in the display tank, otherwise net them out after 1-2 min and put them in the qt tank. Ever hear of that??
Some recommend dips some don't. If you are QTing the fish proeprly (as you've indicated) it really is not necessary and if the fish is not as healthy as it appears, it could actually cause more harm. Especially if the dip is not performed correctly.

When adding new fish to a tank, always >>acclimate<< them properly to avoid shocking the fish.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom