Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-04-2005, 12:53 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via AIM to matman
LFS water

So, my tank is mainly my tap water that i've added talk to, and dechlorinator....now, how bad would it be if i added the water from the bag that i brought my new inverts home with? Really bad?

matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 01:48 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via AIM to packfan2204
i wouldn't do it, and not because your local fish store water is bad, but because anytime a fish is bagged and moved it gets stressed and defacates and releases urine in the bag which is not something u would want to add in your tank. We've already got enough to worry about with our tank. Why add more toxins?

55 reef-260w PC -purple firefish -maroon clown -lubbocks fairy wrasse - hydnophora -polyps, more LPS on the way

July 25, 2005-ship date, can't wait!!!
packfan2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 02:17 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Think about how the water from LFS is circulated between the tanks. Now think of all the people here who have gotten ich or other parasites from new fish at the LFS. The water in the bag may transfer these problems into your tank.
Vote for AquariumAdvice

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 11:45 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Really, you should pour that bag and water into a clean bucket, and then do a drip acclimation for an hour or so, then net the fish/inverts from the bucket and place them in the tank. And ideally you should have a quarantine tank...but I realize that's not always an option for everyone. At least with inverts there's less of a risk of them carrying parasites and diseases.
Former advisor and planted tank geek...life's moved on though.
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com