Lid or no?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glass lid, open lid (eggrate), or no cover at all?

• Glass lid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eggcrate or similar

• Nothing at all

• Total voters

cplawrence

Aquarium Advice Freak
I understand that a glass top is bad for air exchange. I currently don't have any sort of a lid on my tank, but I also haven't added anything other than LR. When I started buying fish, I intended to get a piece of eggcrate to set over the top to prevent suicides. However, a response to a thread in the Beginner's forum seemed to indicate that no lid at all was OK. What do you have?

I have no lid but it also depends on the fish you keep. Certain fish are known jumpers and a lid is a must have. If you had to have a lid go with eggcrate.

Im topless on my 75 gal, I do think water evaporates at a much faster rate than with a top... Another plus is you dont have to take the glass tops of to clean all the salt off... I like it.

p.s.Its all about how many cats you have.Mine are smart,they know the water sucks,but the paws go fishing.

I have a top on my 65 (eel, wrasse...). My 120 is topless. But then again I don't have any potential jumpers in my 120. Even egg crate doesn't protect the most determined of suicides.

Im topless too (giggle) :) . Sorry i couldnt resist. No really I am 55 gal w/ brace. Pc lighting. Still cycling thou dont know where i might go. (as far as fish)

I was topless- I lost two fish that are not "notorious" jumpers-a yellow tail damsel and a clown goby. I even had a skunk cleaner shrimp go carpet surfing before I added a canopy. You definitely run some risk w/ out a top.

really depend on wat fish u are keeping, however, leave the top open is way better than with a close lid. The only disavantage for having topless tank is u might need to fill up ur tank a bit more often than with a lid on.

p.s.Its all about how many cats you have.Mine are smart,they know the water sucks,but the paws go fishing.
Like kcarlson said if the cat in the house and the tank not in the you need a top. I built one for all my tanks to keep the paws out. but it does not keep the cat from going up top to see if he can get to them, boy was he one wet cat when I had the top off to clean the glass :twisted:

bamaboy2go said:
Like kcarlson said if the cat in the house and the tank not in the you need a top. I built one for all my tanks to keep the paws out. but it does not keep the cat from going up top to see if he can get to them, boy was he one wet cat when I had the top off to clean the glass :twisted:
I had 2 cats in the house , and yet to find any problem. The cat doesn't even know they can jump to the top cuz all the lights on top take most of the spaces out, they usually just try to catch the fish thru glass,which of course they always failed =D

Back
Top Bottom