life expectancy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Erok7620

Aquarium Advice Activist
maybe this has been covered but I was just wondering how long some of you have had your livestock and what the average life expectancy is on most aquarium fish/inverts/corals? I know there are many variables.. tank size and conditions, maintanance, feeding, disease... etc. Lets just say under average aquarium conditions.
Allright, who has the oldest fish here?

You are definitely right, there are many variables. I have heard of folks having a specific fish for more than 6 or 7 years. I don't know if you can really pin an average in home aquaria, but it is an interesting question.

The oldest fish I "had" was a watchman goby that was 13-14 yrs old before it died. That 1 was replaced by the current watchman I have now which is about 5 yrs old.
Most cleaner shrimp I get live about 5 yrs. The 1 I have now is about 3 yrs old.
In the ocean, hard corals live forever (barring predatation & polution). They are the builders of reefs. I don't know the life span of soft coral, but I have mushrooms and zoa's that are almost 20 yrs old.

My oldest was a saddle back clown that I had for 4-5 years ....My other clowns that I had a year max was the longest , I never could pinpoint what was wrong if any thing . To many varieables to give a Scientific life expectancy tho :)

I have several fish in my tank that have lasted from day one whenI started my tank 10 yrs ago. I dont know how old they were before I got them.

I don't see how you could even find out how old mushrooms are, like anemones, you don't know if it's the same one you saw 10 years before or if it's a clone of the original, so I would include them in the forever (if kept in proper conditions) category.

And clownfish, normally, will last anywhere from 15-25 years.

Thats what I was told by someone I know who has been doing SW for quite a while...I'm not sure if it's 100% correct.

I think this is one of those questions that the answer is more of an educated guess rather then fact. I would say that in the home aquarium the conditions are the main factor in how long something is going to live. The better maintained a system is the better chance you have of enjoying your fish for a long time. My tank is young in the grand scheme of things only 3 years old but the first fish I ever put in the tank is still with me, again how old was it when I got it? I don't know. Unless you breed a fish, like a clown, and raise the young yourself it is hard to really say how long they are going to live and there again it all depends on how balanced your system is.

Back
Top Bottom