light and cyano question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ambulocetus

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay so I spent lots of time running around the archives, but i am still a little bit unsure. Does cyano require light to grow, i seem to be engaged in a losing battle against it in my tank :x . Will leaving the lights off for a couple days have any effect on it? (just wanted to try 'natural' methods before i start chemical/absorbers etc!)
Thanks - Jon

Cyano is definately light dependant but turning the lights off will only be a temporary solution. Once you start them at a regular cycle again it will come back. The main issue with cyano is PO4. Remove that from the system and you will eliminate the cyano. If you want to avoid chemical means, several water changes using RO for the saltmix will dilute the PO4 over time. You also need to ensure it does not get introduced via foods.

Cheers
Steve

Do you have live rock? A skimmer? Do you use R/O water? Do you feed lightly and/or drain the juice from frozen food? What is your tank size and you bioload? How much water movement?
These are all things ( as well as what Steve mentioned) that will help.
Let us knos, so we can help you. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom