Light fixture options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well lets put it this way. If i want to support corals like anemones and things like hammer or frogspawn, then what the heck kind of lighting will i need...

Frogspawn, hammer, and other LPS like torch, acanthastrea, brain corals, etc. would be fine with 4x 54W HO T5. Anemones probably won't... JMO, maybe someone else will disagree. SPS is probably a no-go as well.

I've personally heard too many horror stories about nems taking a walk around the tank and stinging corals, or worse, getting chopped up in a powerhead and nuking the tank. HN1 and I have been staying away from them for those reasons. There is no guarantee that a clown will host them anyway. Our clown doesn't host anything even though we have a large frogspawn that resembles a nem.

Alright well as always, ill take experience over testing it anyday. Now buy nuking do you mean: the anemone gets chopped up and all of its stinging cells get released into the water and pretty much sting/kill everything in the tank? If so, thats a horrible way to go rofl. Well alright, as long as a i have some good open options as far as corals go with the 4x 54W HO T5, then ill stick to that one. Thanks SM for that nice little advisory xD

Also, i wasnt going to get an anemone for a clown rofl. Its not worth it if your trying to get it to host anything. I just wanted to get it because i think some of them look really nice. ;D

LOL... I mean that the nem gets chopped up in the powerhead and the result is a massive water quality crisis. It is by no means a sure bet that it will take a walk, but the potential is there IMO.

The 55 is only 20 inches deep. As long as you get a HIGH QUALITY 4 bulb t5ho you will be fine with most nem's. they will probably end up in the middle or at the top of your tank though.

if you're at all handy it's not hard to put a diy splash guard or legs on the catalina fixture. you dont even really need legs. you can hang it from the ceiling. plexi glass is cheap at lowes/home depot.

I dont really want to hang it from the ceiling. But still, it doesn't really matter to me, i will most likely be going with the nova extreme for 225$.

Yeah but the pro is like 400$ lol. And i CERTAINLY dont have that kind of dough on me xD

Still, thats a boatload of money. Money that i dont have and wont have for a while xD Its ok tho, ill be happy with my options that the nova extreme gives me. Im not really looking for anemones to be honest. They are just like any other invert to me.

Back
Top Bottom