Light fixture options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zer0

is back to save the day!
Hey guys, i need some help and input over the next few days. Im trying to find the best prices and best quality lighting for me, so if anyone could help me or just throw in some feedback or suggestions on these things, then it would help me and i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Ok, check out this selection. Would this be good enough to support many different types of corals? Even the hard ones like frogspawn and hammers?

48" Power Compact PC Reef Aquarium Light 260W 4x 65W - eBay (item 300333448696 end time Aug-02-09 17:23:21 PDT)

Now that I look at it, I bought my light from the same seller. Except I got the T5HO 4x54 with 4 bluemoon leds and two cooling fans for the same price

lol, thats pretty ironic. What do you think of the fixture in the post above you?

Dang, thats a good deal! :) It is hard to tell if it has individual reflectors or not (that is best), but with good bulbs, you should be golden!

I would stay away from Odyssea altogether as I haven't heard anything about their products. Everything they make is a hit or miss. That fixture may work or it could just be a $100 piece of junk. Better off saving up for a Nova Extreme or another trusted fixture IMO.

I would stay away from Odyssea altogether as I have never heard anything good about their products.

they are cheap. hey now you heard a good thing about them lol :clown:

oh wait i think thats a bad thing.
all those "cheap" light fixtures being sold on ebay are the same cheap import light fixture just may not have the same label on it. i have had one and ran it for about a year and had no problems with it except i bought a t6ho fixture thinking it was t5ho and couldnt find any replacement bulbs for it. so i recently refitted it with t5ho ballasts and bulbs. i do believe they are better fixtures than they used to be but still you get what you pay for.

Alright thanks for the info guys. I just dont know if i'll have the money for something like the nova pro, but still, ill try and save up for it or something.

Yes the oddysea lights are shorter than regular t5ho. that way you do have to buy bulbs specifically from the manufacturer. The light works great until I have to change bulbs.

PC are not appropriate for corals. It would be better to go with T5HO or MH

I definitely agree with the second part that you would be better off with those lights but IMO PC`s can be used for moderate lighting lioke for soft and LPS corals esp. in smaller tanks that dont need higher intensity.

I definitely agree with the second part that you would be better off with those lights but IMO PC`s can be used for moderate lighting lioke for soft and LPS corals esp. in smaller tanks that dont need higher intensity.
You are the expert, I stand humbly corrected

Oh no I`m not an expert and that`s just my opinion. I`m not a lighting expert on any grounds. I really agree that if it was me I would rather have the ones you mentioned. I was not saying you were wrong.

I didn't see Odyssea mentioned in the ebay t5ho link? I must have missed it. I don't know what their fixtures look like to tell from pics.

I would go with something other than Odyssea if you can. I haven't heard anything good about that brand.

Catalinaaquarium.com has some good quality fixtures IMO. They have a 4x54w T5HO for $189.99 plus shipping. Only thing with them is you have to buy the splash guard and legs separately. When you add it up, it will probably cost as much as a Nova Extreme fixture though.

Haha, its funny. I was looking at the page on catalinaaquarium and wash thinking, if it doesnt come with the splashgaurd and the legs lol, then i would just have to buy them seperatly and then it would have wound up costing more or the same as the Nova Extreme fixture for 225$ at a different site. I forgot what site it was but SM linked me to it in one of my other threads. It was a pretty good price for the fixture imo.

We used 130W PC lighting over the 20 gallon and it was enough light to grow some of the easier SPS. Birdsnest and encrusting montipora did just fine. That said, I don't think PC is the best choice for a 55 gallon. I'd go with HO T5 for sure, and I'd stay away from anything Odyssea. As was mentioned, you get what you pay for, and I've rarely seen anything positive said about those fixtures. We now have a 6x 39W Nova Extreme Pro and love it, but you don't have to go for that model. The Nova Extreme is cheaper and would work just as well. With 4 bulbs, you won't be in a position to keep SPS, clams, or anemones, but softies and LPS should do fine.

Just a thought; if you're itching to get started you can always start with a FOWLR and upgrage your lighting later, as long as you choose reef-compatible animals. You can use whatever lighting you already have in the meantime while you're saving your money.

*edit* It was www.marineandreef.com . Excellent prices and they'll ship the fixture for free if you spend $150. I've never ordered from there, but thought about it before we found our fixture used.

So wait, if i get the 4 bulb fixture.. even then i wont be able to support anemones.. ??

Back
Top Bottom