Light fixtures?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pufferlove

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello aquarium advice. I currently have a 55 gallon freshwater tank and I was wondering if the current light fixture I owned would be good enough to convert to saltwater it is an all I don't remember what it was called but it is all LED (see pictures) I think it was Marineland.

Attachments

• image-294835863.jpg
    image-294835863.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 97
  • image-1942285999.jpg
    image-1942285999.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 74
  • image-129101223.jpg
    image-129101223.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 56
  • image-1696057409.jpg
    image-1696057409.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 52
  • image-2369251794.jpg
    image-2369251794.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 87
  • image-4018702182.jpg
    image-4018702182.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 72
Pufferlove said:
Hello aquarium advice. I currently have a 55 gallon freshwater tank and I was wondering if the current light fixture I owned would be good enough to convert to saltwater it is an all I don't remember what it was called but it is all LED (see pictures) I think it was Marineland.

That light will not support must if any corals. That the regular marineland DB LED right? Or the single bright? Anyhow I don't believe it's strong enough.

If you're going FOWLR, that light will be fine to illuminate your tank. It will not however, sustain corals. Maybe mushrooms or zoas, but even then I would not risk it.

Are you looking for lights for corals? If so you should figure out what corals you want to keep and start from there.

Ok but if I got a T5 fixture and put it with the led would it provide at least low to medium lighting

That depends on the T5HO as there are 2,4,6, and 8 bulb units. But like said, if you are only going to have a FO system your lights will be just fine.

Are you looking to do corals? I'm currently running a 55 gal reef system with LPS/SPS corals. It'd be real easy to mirror the two tanks to see what you need for what you want to do.

That light actually will sustain softies and some lps. I have previously owned one however i will say i wasnt happy with the design and overall function. Way better lighting option out there but it will work for less light intensive corals like softies

That light actually will sustain softies and some lps. I have previously owned one however i will say i wasnt happy with the design and overall function. Way better lighting option out there but it will work for less light intensive corals like softies

Ok now I am confused is is ok or not?? :huh: :ermm: :huh: :ermm:

For softies yes and maybe some lps. Not sure why anyone would say they wont. Ive used it along with many other people. Dont expect the best results ever but it will work.

Will it sustain soft coral, yes. Is it a garbage unit that you could spend the same money elsewhere and get a better one that could support more in the future if you wanted to, yes.

Sniperhank said:
Will it sustain soft coral, yes. Is it a garbage unit that you could spend the same money elsewhere and get a better one that could support more in the future if you wanted to, yes.

I think he said he already owned it so that woukd take care of the wasted money part lol;)

I know that part...but my LFS murders lots of corals by trying to keep them under this light and it takes up too much space that could be quality T5HO space for the OP. If he wanted to do LPS a 4 bulb unit wouldn't leave room for the marineland led at all.

Oh and also For my FW tank I have one Aqueon 500 I know this is horribly inadequate so what other kinds of circulation pumps should I get.

I AM SO SORRY FO ALL THE QUESTIONS I just really want to go SW

Pufferlove said:
But wait no nems right?

Yeah no nems with that light. Also ive actually used one of the aqueon 500's and its not a bad little pwerhead for the price but youll want more flow for a reef.

Depending on the coral you want will determine what lights and flow you want, softies and LPS require less intense light and lower flow, for sps they require intense light and higher flow. I run a 55g reef with softies LPS and sps and have a 6 bulb 4 foot t5ho light and have 1050-2450gph of flow(I use a wave maker) honestly though for the cost of it look into getting some dimable LEDs, hopefully someone can chime in on some brands and include some links. I wish I had gone that route but didn't. Again the lighting and flow all depend on what you want to put in the tank, also keep in mind that most fowlr tanks are reef tanks in the making so plan to get coral lol.

Back
Top Bottom