Light for new Refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reeffirefighter13

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Would a Marineland LED up to 30" be good for a refugium? I am going to be keeping some good algae and live rock along with possibly having coral frags in there. Any advice?

I would steer clear of marineland LEDs. I think they are overpriced for what you get, especially for your particular application. A screw in CFL bulb in a brooder lamp works extremely well for a fuge (it is what I am running and my chaeto is growing like crazy) and costs only a few bucks. If you want to light the fuge with LEDs, consider building an appropriately sized fixture with parts from rapidLED or look at trulumen pros imo... much more powerful LEDs. Taotronics LED fixtures (sold on ebay) are also much more bang for the buck than the marinelands.

I bought a cheap 20g hood at Wal-mart with 2 bulbs for my refugium. I put 2-10w 50/50 CFL's into it, and it has worked well. In total, it cost about $40, and helps with reducing evaporation and any dust from getting in.

Back
Top Bottom