Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2005, 10:03 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to makana
cool. okay guys...the light went out from 3 pm until 8pm for a nap on his weird transition day. tneh it will go on from 7 pm until 8 am every night.
anyone coming over to my placec for cheese, wine, and the launch of the new photoperiod? ahahahahhaha

------------------------------------------------------
29g berlin reef w/ 4.9 wpg and tons of current, 10g sump/fuge, and 12" CPR hang-on refugium

SUPPORT YOUR REEF - START A REFUGIUM
makana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 10:41 PM   #12
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by makana
tneh it will go on from 7 pm until 8 am every night.
I hope you meant go off, not on. Dim ambient light at nightime is one thing but reverse lighting the photoperiod would not be recommended. Fish need a period where all is dark or dim so they can rest.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-26-2005, 11:22 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

what is dark or dim? the room is always dim as it has north- and east-facing windows only which are always closed off by curtains. i thinkit will get more night period using the reverse lighting method.

29g berlin reef w/ 4.9 wpg and tons of current, 10g sump/fuge, and 12" CPR hang-on refugium

Old 01-26-2005, 11:35 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My 75G is in my living room. My light cycle is from 11AM to 11PM, it gets plenty of stray light..Thus far, nothing but happy corals, fish and such. Considering my wife leaves EVERY freggin light in the house on till I goto bed (12AM, 1AM?) and the kids turn them all back on when they get up (7AM?) I'd say a little tv tunnel vision won't hurt..Who knows, those re runs of Tony Danza in his break through role may cause considerable growth ; )
Old 01-27-2005, 02:51 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a TV in the same room as my reef, and like steve-s mentioned, most of my fish will settle down except for my tang. Any light at all and he is roaming around, unable to settle in his spot for the night. IMO, I'd aim for atleast 6-7 hours of darkness.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:12 AM   #16
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by makana
what is dark or dim?
Where ambient light does not affect the tank. If you can see inside the tank with any clarity, it's getting too much light. Fish need a period of darkness where they are basically imobile for 6-8 hrs. If not, they will quickly become stressed and sickly.

Quote:
the room is always dim as it has north- and east-facing windows only which are always closed off by curtains. i thinkit will get more night period using the reverse lighting method.
I think you'll regret this choice but it's up to you. Besides, how will you enjoy the tank if it's lit while you are sleeping?

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-27-2005, 11:50 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Where ambient light does not affect the tank. If you can see inside the tank with any clarity, it's getting too much light. Fish need a period of darkness where they are basically imobile for 6-8 hrs. If not, they will quickly become stressed and sickly.
Steve-s
Does this include the 3/4 watt moon light LED. My coralife came with 2 led that I run opposite of the 10,000k and acintic.

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 12:17 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

today is abright an sunny morning. the tank lights just went off. i can see in there, but not well. the tomato clown is no where in sight, went to bed for sure. the pj cardinal is up as usual. all looks well.
my cleaner shrimps are unually active for evening time, but i think they will sttle in an hour or 2...the lightJUST went out 15 minutes ago.
oh yeah, i am busy with school all day these days so i will actauuly get to enjoy the tank more at night now...wantoher reason for the switch. aslo, i always have my company over at night and nobody likes ito hear "the tank i sleeping now"...
but it is REALLY dim in that room, i think all will be fine!

Old 01-27-2005, 12:32 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

nevermind- thomas the tomato clown seem rally upset and awake now.
i tihnk the sun is bothering him.
should i change the light cycle again? will it hurt anything to switch it back and forth?
i promise, once it is going on a good one i wpont change it again. i want to set it like PC's from 11am-11pm. should i switch it to this allowing them only a few hours of darkness this night period?

adam

Old 01-27-2005, 03:31 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

If you're really worried about it, throw a black sheet or tarp over the tank at night.

My fish were perfectly happy being on the dance floor of a nightclub (literally) with this method. Although... the tarp worked better since people were constantly putting their drinks on it. I don't think corals would like beer much, although the clown might...

Tags
light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com