Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2005, 05:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to makana
light pollution

my PITA housemate will not compromise on the placement of the television - he says it simply MUST get moved to right across from my reef, which i put there because it was a quiet, dark area. people watch tv at night a LOT, when the tank is "sleeping" and i am almost sure it will annoy the coral...is this a valid assumption to make? should i cover the tank after the light go out?
thanks in advance!

------------------------------------------------------
29g berlin reef w/ 4.9 wpg and tons of current, 10g sump/fuge, and 12" CPR hang-on refugium

SUPPORT YOUR REEF - START A REFUGIUM
makana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 05:32 PM   #2
JG
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Does moonlight annoy a coral?

I'm sure it ok. Light follows the inverse square law - - -

2X the distance from a light source = 4 X less energy received from the lightsource.

If you can't convince by logic - blind 'em with science!

You can't exactly read by TV light, so I really don't think your coral will be kept up at night.

JG

Old 01-26-2005, 05:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

yeah, thats good reasoning, but remember the tv isnt the only light on, they will likely put the room light on too.
i only use my moonlight once a month...
i just cannot get over how selfcentered/selfish he is!! i cannot wait to move...

29g berlin reef w/ 4.9 wpg and tons of current, 10g sump/fuge, and 12" CPR hang-on refugium

Old 01-26-2005, 06:03 PM   #4
JG
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Tropical Fish from lower latitudes = longer periods of daylight. How selfish to place them on a more northern latitude's daylight schedule .

OR

Light experiences attenuation as it passes through a medium. Therefore as the light passes through the glass and then the water, much of the energy is absorbed.

OR

Conserve resources and use a lower wattage light. This one combined with #1 and #2 will make the fish feel like they are back " home" in the warm dusky tropical evening.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If my roommate told me that we had to move the TV somewhere else because the few watts of light eminating from the TV set would disturb my resting corals, I think I seriously would have him committed.

Sometimes you have to take off your "aquarist" hat and imagine what the average person is thinking.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 06:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

yep...thats true CM. but consider the fact i set the tank up where it is 3 months ago, first discussing that it cant be moved and i would like it to stay as undisturbed as possible. but still good point.
we have two living rooms and one has the tv and one the tank, now the tv and tank will be cramped in one room because i cannot move the tank now and he simple wont budge about keeping the tv down there. well ill just have to make do with his stubborness.
JG- im not sure but it sound like your calling me selfish...i am not in the least bit "selfish" or ignorant about my lighting schedule... i had it down to 12/12 because i had problems with cyano for a couple weeks.
it is cleared up now so i will put it back to a good 13 hour day.
is THAT enough light per day in your opinion?

TIA

Old 01-26-2005, 07:02 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I wouldn't worry about it at all. the amount of light that would actually enter the tank from a TV on the other side of the room couldn't be more than 3-5 watts - no more than moonlights.

I think this is probably one of those situations where you have to "choose your battles" - and this probably shouldn't be one of them.

Now if he tells you that you have to move the tank (especially after you were there first), now THAT'S a battle worth fighting.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 07:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

good call on battling - nobody likes to battle.
guess what im going to do? i think i'll switch the lighting schedule so day is at night and viceversa. the room is always very dimly lit during the day.
but is 13 hours on and 11 hours off a good display tank lighting schedule?

Old 01-26-2005, 07:46 PM   #9
JG
Aquarium Advice FINatic

"JG- im not sure but it sound like your calling me selfish...i am not in the least bit "selfish" or ignorant about my lighting schedule... i had it down to 12/12 because i had problems with cyano for a couple weeks.
it is cleared up now so i will put it back to a good 13 hour day.
is THAT enough light per day in your opinion? "

TIA

No not at all - being sarcastic regarding you roomie's reasoning .... sorry. Not directed at you at all......

JG
Old 01-26-2005, 09:41 PM   #10
steve-s

The only thing you need to worry about are certain skiddish fish species and whether or not they have sufficient hiding places. FWIW, I have a 52" TV facing the tank about 15 ft distance and it has created no issues.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com