Light Timing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DodgeRT

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've searched through the forum and read many posts about what type of light to use, bulbs, etc...but I have yet to find one on timing of the lights.

I have a Coralife setup with 2 daytime lights, 2 actinic lights and 4 lunar lights. What would be a good time cycle to put them on? I have a power strip timer so it's just a matter of adjusting the time on it.

If you leave the daylight's on too long, can this foster an increase in algae growth? I think I may have them set to be on too long.

If you have corals you'll want to run all the lights together at least 8-9 hours a day. A 10-12 hour photoperiod is about the average for reefs, and is what I prefer. As far as timing goes, I'd run all the lamps together for 10 hours, w/ an hour of just actinics before and after the daylight lamps come on/go off for a dawn/dusk effect. HTH
PS- If your having algae issues, reducing the photoperiod will help control it. In the mean time you need to manually remove as mush as possible and find the fuel source of the algae. Most commonly it's high levels of PO4 and/or NO3 from overfeeding, using tap water w/ high nutrient levels, etc. Having insufficient flow will also lead to algae issues. How many GPH flow do you have total? What size tank? What type of filtration (if LR how much)? Do you test for PO4? What are your other water parameters- ie PH, SG, ammo., nitrite, nitrate, Alk? How old is the tank?

I agree with Mike. An overall photoperiod of 10-12hrs is pretty common. Most people have two timers...one for the actinics and one for the daylights and ussually have the actinics come on and shut off about an hour before/after the daylights. You can leave the lunars on 24/7

Good advice, thanks. I don't have an algae problem now, I just didn't want to cause one by leaving the lights on too long.

I agree with the rest, but I only keep mine on for 8 hours, but I DO not have a reef tank, right now. I do have a a lot of hitch hiking corals in my 55, but I would trust the experience of the reefers, as my corals are zoas and 2 buttons, which I don't believe need tons of light (right, folks)?

I also agree with Mike's post. I just want to add that you should be changing those bulbs at between 6 - 9 months of use. You will notice an increase in algae as they age past that period.

Mike is the man. Good advice on the lighting times. I keep mine on from 10A to 9P.

I figured I'd add to this instead of starting a new thread.

I have a Coralife Lunar Aqualight with a Actinic/10K/Lunar light built into it.
My plan is to run the Lunar light overnight, the Actinic only for about half an hour in the morning, Actinic/10K combo all day and then Actinic only for about half an hour in the evening before switching to just Lunar light all night.
My question is, what sort of timer do you recommend. I was looking at the Coralife Aqualight Power Center, but it seemed a bit pricey. I'm uncertain if the Coralife Aqualight Digital Power Center can accomplish what I'm trying to do.
What timer would you guys recommend that can control 3 different lights independently?

This is the timer that I use. It's really not too pricey and does the job very well.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/11452/product.web

Based on the advice I have received here, I have decided to run my Lunar lights 24/7, the Actinic from 8am - 10am, the white lights from 10am-6pm, and then the Actinic again from 6pm-8pm. This schedule provides a 12 hour period of lighting and I have noticed no increase in algae.

Gotta watch those, if anything touches the dial it could cause it to stick and not rotate properly and strip out the mechanism. So make sure none of your wires will touch the dials.

I use two (outdoor) timers that I bought at Lowes. One runs the actinics for 12 hours/day, the other runs the 10k for 10/hours/day.
So my light schedule is :
11 am - noon Actinic only
Noon - 10 pm Actininc and MH
10 pm - 11 pm Actinic only
The moon light LEDs run 24/7

The outdoor timers have a plastic flip up cover.

cmor1701d said:
I use two (outdoor) timers that I bought at Lowes.
Me too, they are water/weather proof. I decided to use them under my tank for the lights and my fan.

NoSvOrAx said:
Gotta watch those, if anything touches the dial it could cause it to stick and not rotate properly and strip out the mechanism. So make sure none of your wires will touch the dials.

Good point. There was nothing touching them, but my daughter has two cats that have been know to lay back there. I moved it up and out of the way.

Back
Top Bottom