light/watts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltwater

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 30 gal tank with about 16 lbs of live-rock. I only have a 14 watt light bulb (the guy at the pet shop said it was pretty good light) and I usually turn it off at night. I feel like the whole thing is wrong for some reason. Any ideas? Also, my tank is one of those "tall" tanks, a hexagon, and it don't have much space on bottom.

(the guy at the pet shop said it was pretty good light)

HEHE, He must be like a vampire or something then.

With a tank of the shape you describe you need more light per gal than a tank of the same capacity that is shorter. The light you have will be ok for the fish. The live rock will strugle along but you should not expect to see any growth in the way of macro algae and even the coraline growth might be stunted at 1/2W per gal of light output.

Remember this is your tank so if you feel you dont have the right lighting then look for a lighting setup that makes you feel better about your tank. I personally would suggest maybe a pair of 55W Power compacts over the tank. :) That would give you substantly more light and also would probably bring the colors of the rock and the fish out much more than the current 14W florecent.

thanks, should I leave the light on even at night? as far as live-rock, is 16 lbs. ok or should I had more?

No dont leave the light on at night. The fish need a day/night cycle just like humans.

LR should be 1.5 to 2x the amount of water.. So I would say a minimum of 30lbs to 60lbs would be a nice setup.. I personally have 96lbs of LR in my 55gal tank.. with one piece of that weighing 20+lbs

HTH,
James

Back
Top Bottom