Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saywill

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, my cheap compact lighting just fried. I smelled it across the house. It is all charred up and I am glad I was home.
So, I am looking online for a new setup. I see a couple available that say they are compact 260 watt. 2 65 actinic, and 2 65 flourescent. Is this something I could use to possibly start getting some corals??

with the lighting you mentioned above, you can start with some mushroom and some polyps, depending of what kind of corals are you looking for.

i c. how about this. You go to visit www.liveaquaria.com and check the corals, you can see from there what is available for corals and how to maintain it, also with the lighting, if it needs stronger lighting, the choice of yours might not be sufficient, but there are plenty of corals that you can select with ur lighting. I would suggest you go to T5, instead of Compact Fluorescent if you want to have corals, or even Metal Hallide. If you have T5 or MH, you have more options of corals to choose from.

Personally I would look at getting a 4x54 or 6x54w T5 fixture or retro kits if you are up for a little DIY. You will get better PAR from the T5s and the bulbs last much longer.

I agree that your lighting will be much better with T5`s. But if you do get those you should be OK with most soft and LPS corals.

As you found out with your fried light, "cheap" lighting is well... cheap. And possibly dangerous. Unless the $$ are really tight, I'd kind of steer away from the no-name lighting and stick with a brand name.

Back
Top Bottom