Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BEANS

Aquarium Advice Activist
How much lighting do I need for my 10g nano SW tank. I want to have a few easy to maintain / hardy beg corals / polyps etc. I plan on having a common clown and or possibly a pearly jawfish.

IF you guys know of any good, easy on the wallet lighting for 10g please let me know. thanks!

Another question, If I used Live rock from an established SW tank and used the water from an established FW tank (that I mixed the salt mixure into). How long would you guys guess the cycle would take. My Ammonia is .025, Nitrites are 0 and all the other ranges are normal. I was just wondering how long it takes to grow the beneficial SW bacteria. BTW I put a small piece of one raw shrimp in and left it a day or so, would that be why my ammonia is .025? I took it out and gonna wait a few days and see if it goes back to 0.

Thanks for any help and im sorry if this isnt enough info you need Im new to SW.

Do not use water from a FW tank. That is not a good idea at all!

Use RO/DI water and mix your salt. If you use cured live rock from an existing tank you will speed up the process of cycling the tank. Be patient nothing good happens fast in this hobby.

Oh no. I already used the FW. Guess i can dump it out and start over. what is the downside to using existing water from FW tank?

All the stuff that is in the water.

When starting a SW tank you want to build from a controlled foundation. Using RO/DI (100% pure water) is the best option.

What all did you use in your FW tank? Did you add any meds any fertilizer for plants? All of those things are not good in a SW tank.

No, just well water. no chemicals added for plants or anything.

If you are doing it thinking you`ll transport the bacteria over then it wont work as first the bacteria is not the same and two the bacteria is not in the water. It`s on surfaces like the LR, sand and glass surfaces. Bad idea to use the water from your FW tank. Start over and do it right. You`ll be glad you did.

I did it thinking the FW beneficial bacteria would be helpful. >< oh well you live and learn. So I know you said RO DI water, does Wal-Mart have that or is it just DI water? Just wondering where I can pick it up because I dont have alot of specialty Pet stores around where I am. I live in a small town :???:

Get your own RO/DI unit. You can get them on ebay for 100 dollars or less. I make my own water.

So I was looking at pc lighting and found a coral life brand that is 28W for salt water tanks. Is this good enough for my 10g for some low/mod light corals / anenemones (sp)

K thanks, So if I want stuff other then mushrooms and polyps I need like 4 Watts per gal, 6? Just trying to get an idea on how much lighting I need for the avg coral and anenome

RO/DI water. Wal-Mart, Big supermarkets, places like that should have it.
good luck,

I used to have the same unit on my 10g and could keep anything I wanted, from low-light to sps.

what kind of lighting is needed if I just have a FOWLR tank. Do you need that much lighting for the live rock?

Back
Top Bottom