Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-26-2011, 10:35 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett Adams View Post
Would one of the hydrofarm 8 light fixtures work well on my 5 foot 120 gallon tank?
A 24 cree LED on a 6x9 heat sink will put out a few hundred PAR at 24 inchrs. The cree xp-g are **** powerful. Look up the radion fixture. It uses 32 or 34 cree LEDs like the ones rapid LED sells. The radeons are designed to light up a 2 foot section of tank.

There is also a video on youtube, rickets reef diy LEDs he has a 48 LED kit from rapid LED over his 90 gallon and can grow SPS with ease. There is also another video on youtube that has a 120 48" tank with 48 cree LEDs that puts out a few hubdres PAR on the sand bed

Old 12-26-2011, 11:31 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
1 LED covers a, 16" square area? Are you sure about that? That doesn't sound right. No fixture to date has a single LED covering that kind of space.

i do agree that the hydrofarm fixtures are excellent for your application.
I know of one fixture that uses one led, the exotic canon led fixture. Now this is one powerful fixture. It might be able to cover that

Old 12-26-2011, 11:40 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

You'd have to place a cannon a few feet above a tank to get the spread you want and really at that distance away I wouldn't think much PAR would be availabe
Old 12-27-2011, 05:01 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomchong22 View Post
I know of one fixture that uses one led, the exotic canon led fixture. Now this is one powerful fixture. It might be able to cover that
i called them about those canons. they said that you would need 3 or 4 of them over a 4' tank. not as powerful as would be expected, and we're talking about 100 watt LED's, not 3 watters.
so that's 400 watts...i might as well use T5s or halides even.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:31 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
i called them about those canons. they said that you would need 3 or 4 of them over a 4' tank. not as powerful as would be expected, and we're talking about 100 watt LED's, not 3 watters.
so that's 400 watts...i might as well use T5s or halides even.
Wow 3 or 4 over a 4' tank? yeah for that kind of money I would just use a metal halide and a t5 combo or even just a t5 fixture. I thought they were more powerful then that.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:48 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
sorry- not called, but emailed. either way, i can't find the email right now or i would post it.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:13 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep. Whatt do you expect from a light that is 3 inches and is a point light. Why do you think LEDs are placed in mass amounts. They are not designed to light up large areas on their own so what would a 100 watt or 250 watt cannon be any different
Old 12-27-2011, 08:10 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would have though with the high power you would have to place them a foot above the tank, giving them a wider "effective range" but in this case I guess not
Old 12-27-2011, 08:28 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

The spreed on such a small diode could really never spread out that much. And no optic would even give you that option
Old 12-27-2011, 08:31 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti_Leo
The spreed on such a small diode could really never spread out that much. And no optic would even give you that option
Agreed. It's only good for really deep and tall tanks such as column or Cylinder tanks.

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com