Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonniewoodruff

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I am very excited that my new 65 gallon is mid cycle. Looking for lights for the tanks. I will be FOWLR and maybe an anemone or two, I have a single bright led light there now but I don't want to rule out corals later. This will be my peaceful tank as my 93 gallon is not peaceful at all. I have 3 T5 lights on it.
I will also need a good protein skimmer. This tank has a canister filter so I can't use the same as my other tank.
I hope to be ready for fish by christmas!

Anemones require very strong lighting and pristine water conditions and should only be housed in established and very stable tanks. What kind of LED lighting do you have on the tank currently?

lights

I am using a single bright marineland led light right now but I know that I will need alot more than that. I am hoping to find a black friday deal. Not too big of a hurry as my ammonia is still at 2ppm and my nitrate is at 80ppm. I already had the light for another tank.

Oh yes, you will want an upgrade. The diodes in the marineland won't support coral, or nems.

So I have never had my nitrite this high before. This tank has a canister filter. It has been running with a raw shrimp in it for about a week. There is some live sand and rock. Do I need to clean the filter and/or do water changes during the cycle? My other tank was already established and has a sump. I thank you for any help :=)
photo-7.JPG

This is normal for a fishless cycle. If it goes above 2ppm or so, I would do a water change. Higher nitrites can stall a cycle.

Back
Top Bottom