Lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iceman72

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all.
In looking at people's pics of tanks I notice some people have their light fixtures lay right on top of tank. I see some people use the legs on the fixtures. I was thinking about removing the legs off mine. Is this ok? I have (2) 10k lights , (2) blue lights and (4) blue LEDs. What do you all think?

What type of lights? It can be by preference. If its LEDs, i would definitely keep some space in between for air to circulate and keep from overheating. Other types of lighting get really hot and if laying directly on the tank can affect the tempurature of the water unless you have a good chiller. Even a T5's bulb ive read will have a short life span if not given a cooler environment to run which would be deprived if layed right on top. Just my 2 cents. I keep retro t5's bolted to the ceiling of a canopy with 2 fans running.

I have this fixture. It's got 4 bulbs and 4 LEDs, also two fans.

Attachments

• image-907812849.jpg
    image-907812849.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 61
I have this fixture. It's got 4 bulbs and 4 LEDs, also two fans.
Ive never owned an odyssea fixture but i know theyre popular for having affordable light. If the fixture has built in fans then it should be okay to lay it on top. I would just moniter any temperature changes with your tank as well as ensuring the lights are still providing a good spread. Keep in mind that this is at your own risk. If you feel that laying it without legs actually makes the fixture run hotter than normal, then i would avoid doing it.

I think what I will do us just get some really nice bulbs.

I think what I will do us just get some really nice bulbs.
im not 100% sure what you are trying to tell us with that comment, but if its the thought that better bulbs withstand the heat better, that's not completely accurate. I personally would never run a light fixture (atleast one that's not a temp setup) directly on top of a tank or lids. even if it has decent cooling fans, chances are its going to raise the temp inside the fixture.

Yes my LEDs raised my temp so I had to turn heater down to compensate it. Been at 25c since

What I decided was instead of taking the legs off instead buy some better bulbs. I don't want to even be bothered with any possible heat issues.

ohhh ok. yeah I misunderstood your post. that makes more sense. if you are running glass or acrylic lids, they do block a decent percentage of your light (most will tell you anywhere from 10-25%)

I'm really thinking of taking out my snails. They are the only reason I put the glass lids on. Plus they eat my little hermit crabs. It's crazy. I didn't believe it until one night I watched it actually happen.

Just got my new ATI lights in today. Picked up (2) blue, (1) purple and (1) aquatic blue.

Back
Top Bottom