Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beancounter

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new to reef tanks...I've done the fish only thing, but now I am thrown into Lighting, lighting, and more lighting. All I hear is watts per gallon. More is better?? I am not sure. I have a power compact and regular Flo on my tank for 140 watts. I am told that it is still not enough to doing soft or hard corals. How much and what kind do I need?

So you have a 96W PC and a 40W NO bulb. Is the PC 10K and the NO Actinic? If so i think you have enough for most soft corals.

Hard corals are gonna want more light usually.

if your going to keep corals its good to have an actinic bulb. actinic lighting can really enhance your fish's coloration aswell.

dont change it out till you need t replace them.

I replace my PC's every 9 months and NO's are recommended for 6 months replacment.

VHO requires a special ballast. The bulbs appear like standard florecent tubes aside from the need for the special VHO ballast.

Depends on what you want to keep. If all you wnat to keep is med-low light soft corals i feel you have ok lighting now for it as long as you select the location you put them in.

If you intend to go to more higher light needy corals than a VHO upgrade is not a bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom