Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xkenneth

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well I've decided my first step should be to build a nice stand for my aquarium. Actually the stand i'm building right now is going to hold two 75's and a sump, and I'm curious about what can I do as far as lighting. I'd really like to do everything right with this tank, so I think metal halide is the way to go. I really don't care for the prices of metal halide aquarium tops and I'd really like to have all of the lighting built directly into my stand. I still don't quite understand why metal halides need a ballast instead of being able to draw current directly from a US 120v system, unless they need a higher voltage. I'd like to try and achieve 5-10 wpg with this tank, landing somewhere in the middle (around 7.5) I think would probably be best? Can anyone recommend a good ballast/bulb combination that is cost effective and if not perhaps VHO is a better choice?

Thanks,
Ken

5 WPG with MH would allow you to keep anything you wanted. I have CoralVue MH lights and have had no problem with them. The guy I purchased mine from was selling 2- 250w MH retros with the bulb of your choice for $340 (includes shipping)

Why do you want a 400w light? Extreme overkill. What is your tank dimensions? That is not the correct bulb for your tank. It is a 4K. You would have a algae farm. :D You need a 10k, 14k, or 20k depending on how much blue hue you want in your tank. Also that ballast is entirely exposed. IMO asking for trouble around SW unless you have a really good place for it. You also need a reflector.

400w/75g = 5.something wpg. Which if I wanted to do high-light corals would enable me to do so. Also it will be a very custom stand and i'll have the ballasts mounted somewhere away from the tanks, probably below with the sump in a waterproof chamber with the rest of the electronics.

400w/75g = 5.something wpg
Does not work that way. The 5 WPG is a general rule. Very general. This is why I asked for your tank dimensions. Your tank is probably around 4' long? A MH will only cover a 2'x2' area. You will need 2 bulbs at minimum.

Does not work that way. The 5 WPG is a general rule. Very general. This is why I asked for your tank dimensions. Your tank is probably around 4' long? A MH will only cover a 2'x2' area. You will need 2 bulbs at minimum.

i agree with what brian said..you need w mh bulbs. and 2 400watt bulbs on a 75 gal is a little overkill. i would go with 2 250watt.

xkenneth said:
Well I can get a $400 metal halide ballast for $65
And the $400 watt lamp for it..
Is there anything else i'd need?
I could ride to work on a pocket rocket too but that’s not really the “best option”. What’s next, saving money by buying your lr at the gravel pit?

img_627563_0_ab1a6bb751723cf19309fbea10ae5215.jpg

Just kidding but really please buy supplies designed for aquarium use. There are shortcuts to cutting costs as Serpentman mentioned but not buying the right equipment can cost you more money in the long run and could be detrimental to your tank.

Well I just did a search for metal halide and that is what came up with it. Once I read a bit more i'll make a purchasing decision.

Brenden said:
What kind of MPG does that thing get? :D
They get about 60 mpg but top out around 40 mph for the fast ones. (one litter tank lasts about 15 miles) My nephew has one which is a blast to ride but not very comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom