Lighting...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ozorowsky

Aquarium Advice Freak
Trying to figure out which type of lighting I will need for a reef/community tank. PLease let me know what I can do that isn't crazy expensive so I can order this. Thank you.

Alot will depend on what type corals you have or are planning to have. I have a moderate light tank and use VHO`s. Most people believe that SPS`s and clams need MH`s. As I said it`s up to you.

ozorowsky said:
PLease let me know what I can do that isn't crazy expensive so I can order this. Thank you.
Reef lighting that isn’t crazy expensive is an oxymoron :lol:

Even basic PC/VHO lighting will set you back a couple of hundred unless your lighting a 30 gal or less sized tank. You don’t have anything in your ]
myInfo.gif
so what tank size do you have.

As melosu said it greatly depends on the type of coral you want. Are you looking to keep medium or high light corals?

How high is your tank? If over 24+” high then you will probably need MH either way to penetrate.

How old is your tank? Certain coral shouldn’t even be attempted IMO if your tank isn’t 6+ months old and all parameters are near perfect.

Current USA & Coralife Aqualights are the two most popular.

Ozorowsky, As I stated earlier I have medium light corals and VHO lights. This is a pic of my tank so you can see what type corals you can have with moderate lighting. And as tec said some corals need a mature tank. Mine is 9 yrs old. Good Luck

img_720223_0_fa2f70470cedd734ba890da84406af99.jpg

A tank like yours would be awesome. What kind of lighting should I get now melous to have a similar tank? I have 135 gallon tank. I'm having the cabinets built for my kitchen. Also factoring in that I'll use the stand the tank came with but am going to build kitchen cabinets around it. I am going to have the bottom of the tank drilled to lead to an undertank sump. Any info you have that would be helpful will be great!

melosu58 said:
Ozorowsky, As I stated earlier I have medium light corals and VHO lights. This is a pic of my tank so you can see what type corals you can have with moderate lighting. And as tec said some corals need a mature tank. Mine is 9 yrs old. Good Luck

img_720317_0_fa2f70470cedd734ba890da84406af99.jpg

Most tanks and corals will do just fine with teh appropriate amount of CF or VHO lighting. Wih enough, you can keep a huge variety of softies and LPS corals. If you have your sights set on clams, high-light anemones or SPS corals look into MH. the size and dimensions of your tank would help us recommend the appropriate fixture.

lando said:
the size and dimensions of your tank would help us recommend the appropriate fixture.

Is that a 6 foot long tank?
Yes to house the corals I have as Lando said you`ll just need VHO`s or PC`s.

I want to have bright, colorful corals. I also like ones that I saw that looks like bubble wrap. Looks like it has these things you can just pop.

Yes the tank is 6 feet long.

I don't know 100% what fish and corals I'll put in tank but as inexpensive as poss. while having a nice tank.

Back
Top Bottom